[SOLVED] Samsung 860 Pro SSD AHCI issues

hildebranddj

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
I'm hoping this is an easy fix, been digging for the last hour or so here on the forums and tried a few things, I am unable to get AHCI mode to show activated in Samsung Magician. first off MoBo is a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4 with F3 BIOS. SSD is a Samsung 860 EVO 256GB, ACHI mode is on in BIOS under OnChip SATA Type. SSD is plugged into SATA Port 0. I have tried the Registry Editor but either cant find the proper entry due to Windows 10, with the newest updates as most fixes for this issues are oddly around Win 7. I did had this issue after I did a clean boot as well, just forgot about it till now, as I am cleaning the computer up and installing all the latest drivers I can to prep for using the computer for work more and installing my CAD program back on it. Samsung Magician has the latest software as well, latest Firmware on the SSD.. Hopefully a workaround without having to do another clean install as my Internet speed is 7 Mbps on a good day, so it takes forever to do a clean install..

Again many thanks -DH

Solution
You can check which driver is being used in Device manager.
Rt click on the drive>Properties> Driver Tab>Driver Details Button
or
Rt click on the Sata controller and do the same thing.

I believe Samsung has been misreporting the AHCI state for a while. Plus Windows wouldn't boot if the Bios was set at AHCI and Windows wasn't using the right driver...

You can't compare your benchmark results when you have booted from that drive. Benchmarks always try to show the absolute best results and so are always run on drives that are not the boot drive. This may explain your differences.

hildebranddj

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Thanks Count Mike, any chance you made an error in that Driver? I don't seem to be able to find it. I have done every driver update on AMDs site and Gigabytes site for my Mobo and chipset..

popatim

Titan
You can check which driver is being used in Device manager.
Rt click on the drive>Properties> Driver Tab>Driver Details Button
or
Rt click on the Sata controller and do the same thing.

I believe Samsung has been misreporting the AHCI state for a while. Plus Windows wouldn't boot if the Bios was set at AHCI and Windows wasn't using the right driver...

You can't compare your benchmark results when you have booted from that drive. Benchmarks always try to show the absolute best results and so are always run on drives that are not the boot drive. This may explain your differences.

Reactions: hildebranddj
Solution

hildebranddj

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Thanks Popatim I did find that the ACHI driver was out of date (06 Windows driver) replaced it with an AMD driver and it changed it to just a SATA Driver in Device Manager. It also got rid of a nagging error that would pop up occasionally in Event Manager. (totally hate the new layout of EM). But totally understandable about it reading low iops being the boot drive. I'll have to compare as I grabbed a 1 TB Pro drive for $99 today I'm going to replace my aging 1 TB Caviar Green drive with. Has years worth of pics on it. See if the Iops is any better being an idle drive.

I'll leave the old HDD in a spare slot and use it as a backup drive for all the computers on the home network.