Question Samsung 870 QVO 1TB slow write speeds

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 29, 2023
UPDATE 3: Solved? seems like the 870 QVO sucks and there's nothing you can do about it, the write speeds will be limited to 80MB/s after the cache gets filled.

I was noticing the extracting speed when using WinRAR was very slow, and decided to benchmark my SSD again to see if it's because of that or winrar just being slow, and the write speeds were around 80mb/s on CrystalDiskMark, but Samsung Magician shows 510mb/s for some reason.

When I first installed the ssd it was working as expected, around 500mb/s read and around 500mb/s write, but now it's just slow, without me changing anything.
The drive letter is C: on the ssd and i'm using my windows on it as well.

qBRVZ5K.png
7kmlEVt.png

UPDATE:
After doing 2 more tests with Samsung Magician, it now shows 86/87mb/s write speeds, I really have no idea what is going on.

pfDzfUW.png

UPDATE 2:
When starting a CrystalDiskMark benchmark the write speeds will go over 500MB/s(like expected), and then go back to around 80MB/s. This happens once in the start of the video and at 0:39

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNkJ8yv8t34

If someone knows why this is caused and if it has to do something with my slow speeds please let me know!

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2023
Since only storage device, it would be Disk 0. This isolates issue to the SSD itself, it would seem.

Just for grins, try connecting to a different SATA port on the motherboard.
I tried different SATA ports and still same write speed, but I did notice something in the task manager, when doing crystaldiskmark, it sometimes jumps to 500MB/s write but then goes back to 80MB/s.
And also it would sometimes show on crystaldiskmark as 500MB/s write as well, I really don't know what's going on, maybe someone can figure it out from the video.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNkJ8yv8t34

Immediately after I start, the write speed goes to 503MB/s max, and again at 0:40 when it's the write test, it goes to 521MB/s max and then goes down to around 80MB/s.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You have the Windows installation image on your USB drive? If so, it would usually get replaced by Linux when you would write the image to the USB drive (with a tool like Rufus, for example).

The experiment would confirm whether we are chasing a Windows or hardware problem.

Jul 29, 2023
You have the Windows installation image on your USB drive? If so, it would usually get replaced by Linux when you would write the image to the USB drive (with a tool like Rufus, for example).

The experiment would confirm whether we are chasing a Windows or hardware problem.
The thing is I don't have a USB with me right now.

zx128k

Reputable
First thing is check the SATA cable or try another one. I get all sorts of performance issues if the cable is loose or damaged in some way. Try disabling "sleep" in APM (Advanced Power Management). See CrystalDiskInfo. Basically Function menu and then Advanced features. AAM/APM Control, for me its greyed out but you can turn it off/on here and test. Once you restart it will revert to what it was originally set too.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2023
First thing is check the SATA cable or try another one. I get all sorts of performance issues if the cable is loose or damaged in some way. Try disabling "sleep" in APM (Advanced Power Management). See CrystalDiskInfo. Basically Function menu and then Advanced features. AAM/APM Control, for me its greyed out but you can turn it off/on here and test. Once you restart it will revert to what it was originally set too.
It's greyed out for me too, can't do anything to it in CrystalDiskInfo.

And I've tried switching SATA cables and that didn't work, I originally used to get 500MB/s read and write with these exact cables I was doing the benchmarks on.

zx128k

Reputable
It's greyed out for me too, can't do anything to it in CrystalDiskInfo.

And I've tried switching SATA cables and that didn't work, I originally used to get 500MB/s read and write with these exact cables I was doing the benchmarks on.
Disabled TRIM command could be another issue. Try setting power options to High-Performance Mode.

You can try the steps in this guide. I would check temperatures as well. An anti-virus and anti-malware scan would be a good idea. Is write cache turned on? People report that QLC nand can be very slow with writes.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2023
Disabled TRIM command could be another issue. Try setting power options to High-Performance Mode.

You can try the steps in this guide. I would check temperatures as well. An anti-virus and anti-malware scan would be a good idea. Is write cache turned on?
IZhSR3x.png

TRIM is enabled, High-Performance mode is enabled as well, modified only 1 registry for the AHCI mode because the rest were like the guide, and also optimized the drive and updated it, noticed it changed something in CrystalDiskInfo at Features, it added GPL, which wasn't there before.

And I don't know know if that has to do something but the Average response time on the SSD seems kinda big to me.

zx128k

Reputable
IZhSR3x.png

TRIM is enabled, High-Performance mode is enabled as well, modified only 1 registry for the AHCI mode because the rest were like the guide, and also optimized the drive and updated it, noticed it changed something in CrystalDiskInfo at Features, it added GPL, which wasn't there before.

And I don't know know if that has to do something but the Average response time on the SSD seems kinda big to me.
Update Samsung Magician Issue could be this here. Notice how the writes are fast at the start and then just die.

Just like all other modern SSDs, the Samsung 870 QVO has pseudo-SLC caching, which operates part of the total capacity in SLC mode, which is much faster than writing to QLC directly. When writing to an empty cache, we see excellent transfer rates of more than 500 GB/s—right at the limit of the SATA interface. Once you've written 42 GB, transfer rates fall off a cliff to below 100 MB/s—that is slower than most HDDs. It seems writing to QLC directly, possibly while trying to flush the SLC cache in the background, is a huge issue for the 870 QVO. At those rates it is the slowest SSD we have ever put through this test. The SLC cache is also relatively small, other QLC drives like the Crucial P1 and Sabrent Rocket Q have caches several times bigger.

Once the write activity stops and you give the 870 QVO enough time to flush the cache from SLC to QLC, write performance is restored.
There are lots of forum posts were the write speed drops to approx. 80MB/s. This could also be the issue.

You can see the same results in this video review. The faster SLC cache is about 6GB in size. So once its full, write speeds drop the approx. 80GB/s.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2023
Update Samsung Magician Issue could be this here. Notice how the writes are fast at the start and then just die.

There are lots of forum posts were the write speed drops to approx. 80MB/s. This could also be the issue.

You can see the same results in this video review. The faster SLC cache is about 6GB in size. So once its full, write speeds drop the approx. 80GB/s.

So I understand the SSD is just garbage, the issue in the video is exactly like mine so that's probably it, as a question, doesn't this mean this happens to all ssd's?

Last edited: