Samsung 960 evo m.2 ssd installation help

meeeemeeeee

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
Howdy yall! So I have an Alienware 17 R4 laptop with a 180gb m.2 ssd already in it (that is the only storage drive) and I just bought a Samsung 960 evo 500gb m.2 ssd. My question is how do I install it? I think the 180gb m.2 ssd is the boot drive so can I just put the new one in the laptop and that's it? Could you lead me step by step through the process of how to put in a second m.2 ssd in a laptop? Talk to me like I'm 5 because I'm a noob

Solution

If you will be using your new 960 EVO for storage only, then yes drop it in then go to "Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions" in settings, right click on the new drive and create a new simple drive. That's it.

If you plan to install the 960 EVO SSD as a boot drive, you will need a Windows...

Richard_253

Prominent
May 28, 2017

If you will be using your new 960 EVO for storage only, then yes drop it in then go to "Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions" in settings, right click on the new drive and create a new simple drive. That's it.

If you plan to install the 960 EVO SSD as a boot drive, you will need a Windows 10 installation USB. From that point there are countless YouTube videos on how to install Windows on a new drive. In a nutshell, you will boot into the USB installation media and follow some very simple step-by-step instructions. The installation process only takes about 5 - 10 mins. Good luck.

Solution