Samsung 960 EVO M2 showing massively incorrect free space

Sep 25, 2018
Hey Everyone,

I have searched and searched for an answer to my problem but all suggestions I saw have all been tried.

My c: drive, a Samsung 960 EVO M2 shows 21 GB free when it should me more like 120 GB free. I have checked any Page files, Restore Points etc etc to see what they are doing which is precious little or nothing ... If I show all files, including hidden system files, and do a properties on it all it shows 75 GB used, but Windows 10 Explorer shows 210 GB used.

I have run Samsung Magician, updated Firmware to current, and it also agrees with Explorer and shows 210 GB used.

But I can't see how on Earth that can be correct. If I show ALL files, and that comes to 75 GB, Restore Points take up 2GB and that is a set limit, plus there is NO Pagefile on that drive. I have also run Disk Cleanup and it only can offer a few megabytes free'd up.

Does anyone have any other idea's of what I am missing? Thanks for your help.

Sep 25, 2018
USAFRet thanks for your answer … I had read about WinDirStat but because of it 's age, and I just figured that given I had full admin access and had checked all System Hidden files that could be an issue that I would not need it. Turns out, that the files were actually in a couple of nested folders that I had on my Desktop that I did not realise how large they were, and a Apple Backup folder again I would have expected to have been reported via standard means.

What's interesting is that there size was not revealed when checking the drive and I also checked the users folder directly with all files not hidden - so I would have expected it to show it then - but it did not, yet WinDirStat did. Seems very strange to me that the files were not seen by a simple Properties check on the Users folder as long as all files are not hidden (including System files).

But facts are facts, they did not show, but they did under WinDirStat - so I must thank you for your support and also to Kerberos_20 who answered and anyone else who answered whilst I was typing this and did not see.7