• Our team is working to address issues posting quotes or media to the forums. Please bear with us as we get this sorted out.

Question Samsung 970 EVO 2TB with bad sector errors - now fine???

cmw_a1

Prominent
Dec 6, 2019
I have a Samsung 970 EVO 2TB NVME SSD that was dropped off to me in a non functional computer for data recovery and recycling. I was able to recover almost all the data but the drive had a few bad sectors, luckily on not so critical files. I ran CHKDSK /R on the drive and it aborted due to an unspecified error, but not before finding several bad sectors. I figured this was a dud SSD but deleted all partitions and formatted the drive from scratch. I didn't use the quick format option either so it took a few minutes. The format was successful when I came back to the computer and no errors were reported. A subsequent CHKDSK /R found no issues with the drive or listed bad sectors (they were reallocated with spare flash). I checked the SMART status of the drive with Samsung Magician and a couple other utilities and it shows that this is a good drive.

I am always nervous when I find bad sectors on a drive and consider them to be questionable. Usually this is a mechanical drive I am talking about. Should I count on this SSD for anything important or consider it a cull?

Conor

Likely, the drive is good.
If there was a power failure at an inopportune time, some update may have not completed properly. I think Magician can test the drive and if it tests good, I would use it just like a new drive.

That said, USAFRet is right. If you value anything on the drive, have an external backup of it.

cmw_a1

Prominent
Dec 6, 2019
Likely, the drive is good.
If there was a power failure at an inopportune time, some update may have not completed properly. I think Magician can test the drive and if it tests good, I would use it just like a new drive.

That said, USAFRet is right. If you value anything on the drive, have an external backup of it.
Good to know. I am a backup NAZI myself so not too worried about data loss. I don't want it to have bad sectors that creep in and cause a failure at a bad time. I think I will just hang onto it and throw it in a media player laptop in the future so it won't be in something mission critical.

I wondered if something had happened like a power failure or an issue with the drivers/chipset of the other computer. It appears the motherboard is bad in that unit as the RAM tested good in other system.

Conor

ASK THE COMMUNITY