Question Samsung 970 EVO 500gb m2 nvme not bootable (was working)

Sep 23, 2024
I have a Samsung 970 EVO 500gb that I had windows on and was working fine for about 4 years now on a MSI Z270 motherboard. Today I tried to start my PC only to see it booting straight to BIOS.
In the bios the SSD isn't showing up. So I started troubleshooting:
  • I moved the Samsung SSD to a PCI slot (I have a nvme to PCI converter and I had another SSD mounted there) and still not found in boot
  • I installed windows to the other SSD (that is now in the nvme slot of the motherboard) and booted just fine
  • I browsed to the Samsung SSD with windows explorer and all the files are there still allowing me to read/write
  • I ran a full scan with Samsung Magician showing no errors
What could be the cause of this? No changes where made to the PC. How can I boot again from the Samsung SSD?

PS. To install windows on the other SSD I had to delete some system partitions to allow me to proceed with the installation (other SSD was MBR).

Thanks for taking the time reading this. Any help is much appreciated.

Sep 23, 2024

C is the other SSD. DAD is the Samsung 970
Probably a critical SMART parameter was tripped and SSD got locked up.
Replace the drive.

You said, you installed windows on another drive.
Can you check 970 evo with samsung magician?
(make a screenshot, upload to imgur.com and post link here)
As I said on the first post I did do a scan with magician. I will do one again and post results (Takes about 10 minutes).

C is the other SSD. DAD is the Samsung 970
As I said on the first post I did do a scan with magician. I will do one again and post results (Takes about 10 minutes).
Your Disk Management screenshot doesn't show E: drive.

No need to scan with Samsung Magician, just check drive health in drive Dashboard screen.
If it shows health Critical - then the drive has failed.

NpaUK.png

If you want to make 500GB drive bootable, then execute following from elevated command prompt:
(if you get any errors, then stop immediately and show screenshot with command output)
diskpart
list disk
select disk 3
(select 500GB disk)
list partition
select partition 3
(select 540MB recovery partition, we will delete it, to make a new bootloader)
delete partition override
create partition efi
format fs=fat32 quick
assign letter=H
exit
bcdboot E:\windows /s H: /f UEFI
Last message should be Boot files created successfully.
Boot into BIOS and set first boot device to Windows Boot Manager on 500GB drive.

Reactions: dim94
Sep 23, 2024
If you want to make 500GB drive bootable, then execute following from elevated command prompt:
(if you get any errors, then stop immediately and show screenshot with command output)
diskpart
list disk
select disk 3
(select 500GB disk)
list partition
select partition 3
create partition efi
format fs=fat32 quick
assign letter=H
exit
Boot into BIOS and set first boot device to Windows Boot Manager on 500GB drive.
Will the format command delete the data on the drive or is it just the partition?

Sep 23, 2024
diskpart
list disk
select disk 3
(select 500GB disk)
list partition
select partition 3
create partition efi
format fs=fat32 quick
assign letter=H
exit
It booted right up. Thanks. So what was the root cause of this? Randomly needing to do a BIOS update to get an old SSD working again? The BIOS update is from 2018 even. Doesn't make sense. Thanks everyone for your time.