Question Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SSD turns off/crashes at 56°C ?

May 20, 2024
Hello.

I've been having some issues with my SSD since about a week (been using it for close to a year). The first crash happened a week ago, and I didn't really comprehend what happened. It just seemed like my drive bugged and I didn't even realize the extent of it, and just restarted my PC and everything was fine for a week. That was, until yesterday. Used my PC for 6 hours, then my drive crashed again. It's not my system drive, so my PC itself just runs on without problems, but anything related to that drive then obviously insta dies. Upon a restart however, the drive basically died within 2 minutes from there on each time, but if I waited longer before rebooting my PC, it would sometimes live up to 5 minutes. It was odd, but allowed me to slowly save my data, until I realized that it might be an overheating issue.

I installed Samsung Magician and CrystalDisk and it came out with no errors at all, told me the SSD is 'fine'. What I did notice as a result of the install however was, that the SSD would consistently and instantly turn off, once it hit 56° Celsius. The resting Celsius was 53° C however. As I experimented with that, I noticed that if I only move files slowly, that nothing actually happens. I see the temp rise to 54 and 55, and then just wait for like 30 seconds before I continue moving files, and the drive stays up.

Online, I believe I read multiple times, that temps of up to 70° C are still perfectly fine for this kind of SSD, so I'm not quite sure what's wrong here. Hope someone can help me solve this issue. I wonder if my SSD is faulty, or whether it's my motherboard, or whether it's an overheating issue after all... or a driver issue.

My PC is.. and idk what else is relevant. I'm not too familiar with these things..

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070TI
CPU: Intel 8700K
Motherboard: Asrock 370 Extreme4

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

Make and model of your case as well as the fans you have in your case? Number of fans and their orientation? Ambient room air temps? Perhaps try and aim a fan at the SSD and see if that helps. What OS are you working with? Did you install the NVMe driver for your SSD?

May 20, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

Make and model of your case as well as the fans you have in your case? Number of fans and their orientation? Ambient room air temps? Perhaps try and aim a fan at the SSD and see if that helps. What OS are you working with? Did you install the NVMe driver for your SSD?
Hi Lutfij!

Thanks for your quick reply and sorry for my late one.

Bios: P1.30
Win10

Did you install the NVMe driver for your SSD?

- Yes, but only after the issue started, cause I wanted to try and use it as a result of Samsung Magician to run the smart diagnosis, but I couldn't complete it, as the disk would crash from the diagnosis attempt.

Make and model of your case as well as the fans you have in your case? Number of fans and their orientation?
- I'm struggling with this. I did save data from HWMonitor, though, so maybe it'll answer the # of fans question for now, at least? I'll try to answer it properly as soon as I can.

Plus, it might give you a better idea of the heat situation of my PC in general, if overheating is taking place. My PC is 6 years old by now and had been running flawlessly until this started, but, it's always time for a first for issues to start showing up and parts to start dying. So at least I'm trying to say, that I didn't 'experience' overheating issues throughout those years until now, but I noticed that the SSD in question is below my GPU and my GPU has shown me some hot peak readings in HWMonitor, but IDK if they are bad or not, since I never saw the peak (hotspot?) temp before and only its average temp in task manager, which had been excellent.

Ambient Room Temp
- Should be around 20-25° Celsius. (I'm from germany. It's not that hot, yet, but certainly getting warmer)

Now that I look at the HWMonitor exported 'data', it's a txt that I find super confusing to read, and so I did bit of a 15min stresstest to fire up my PC (primarily GPU) a little bit, to get some new data, and screenshotted it this time instead. Hope this helps figure this out a little bit..