[SOLVED] Samsung 970 Evo Plus on Asus Z97-PRO GAMER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pablix360

Honorable
Jun 21, 2015
Hello, I have brought myself a Samsung 970 Evo Plus today and I think I made a mistake as I believe that running this SSD on Z97-PRO GAMER limits it to around 800MB/s while it should run at 3,600MB/s...

My full spec is:
Intel i7 - 4790k (oc to 4.9GHz)
Asus Z97-PRO GAMER
Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM
GTX 1080 Ti FE

Firstly I ran some test as I was not sure if I am getting the speeds I expected with system boot etc. and I saw that I am getting only around 800MB/s sequential read and write. Reading up about it I believe that the M.2 slot on my MOBO is limited in speed? Is there anything that I can do to run this SSD at full speed without sacrificing any other resources?

Solution
Yes, the M.2 port on a Z97 board will absolutely limit the speed of a current NVMe drive, such as your 970 EVO.

I have a similar level ASRock board, and mine would do the same.

Pablix360

Honorable
Jun 21, 2015
Thanks both, I did think that was the case. If I can't get a full speed via pcie adapter what other options are there? I am willing to think about upgrading just the MOBO but then I have to find one that works with i7 4790k DDR3 Ram and my 970 Evo Plus - does a mobo like this exist or will the NVMe drive only work at full speed on new generation motherboards?

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks both, I did think that was the case. If I can't get a full speed via pcie adapter what other options are there? I am willing to think about upgrading just the MOBO but then I have to find one that works with i7 4790k DDR3 Ram and my 970 Evo Plus - does a mobo like this exist or will the NVMe drive only work at full speed on new generation motherboards?
Newer boards, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.