[SOLVED] Samsung 980 RAID?

ArielElia95

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
Hello,
I have 2 Samsung 980 (regular) 1TB.
I will be using them with ASUS Prime Z690-A.
I was wondering how should I connect them? Just put each on a M.2 slot or should I raid them?
I've never done raid, I only heard about that that it makes your memory much faster.
I would ne happy to get an explanation and recommendation.

Thanks

Solution
RAID 0 (the unstated array type you're thinking of) certainly sounds like a great idea. Combine the two or more drives, and get double the speed!!

And in the days of HDDs, in certain limited use cases, it may have been.

Solid state devices changed all that. They are already fast enough that the overhead of working with the RAID negates any potential speed benefit.
If you were moving large blocks of sequential data between two similar arrays, you might see a difference.
But that would be something like...a movie production system, and you're moving this block of 3D rendered frames from here to there.
Normal every day use is in tiny 4k segments, where the RAID is of little use.

And, it increases the complexity and fail potential...

USAFRet

Titan
Hello,
I have 2 Samsung 980 (regular) 1TB.
I will be using them with ASUS Prime Z690-A.
I was wondering how should I connect them? Just put each on a M.2 slot or should I raid them?
I've never done raid, I only heard about that that it makes your memory much faster.
I would ne happy to get an explanation and recommendation.

Thanks
No RAID. Not even a little bit.

Reactions: ArielElia95

USAFRet

Titan
RAID 0 (the unstated array type you're thinking of) certainly sounds like a great idea. Combine the two or more drives, and get double the speed!!

And in the days of HDDs, in certain limited use cases, it may have been.

Solid state devices changed all that. They are already fast enough that the overhead of working with the RAID negates any potential speed benefit.
If you were moving large blocks of sequential data between two similar arrays, you might see a difference.
But that would be something like...a movie production system, and you're moving this block of 3D rendered frames from here to there.
Normal every day use is in tiny 4k segments, where the RAID is of little use.

And, it increases the complexity and fail potential of the data.
In a RAID 0, data is striped across both drives. If one dies...all data is gone.

Here are a couple of older tests of a RAID 0 and SSD.
I've seen nothing so far to contravene those results.

SATA III:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485.html

NVMe:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-950-pro-256gb-raid-report,4449.html

Reactions: ArielElia95
Solution