News Samsung 990 Pro Firmware Update Addresses Failing SSD Health

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Even if I get it to boot I doubt it'll be of use to me - I have three 990s in a RAID array, and Samsung Magician can't see the drives (though HWInfo64 can, go figure).
Maybe take them out of RAID mode to do the firmware update?

I'm just speculating, though. Don't take my advice without further research, but there must be guidance on how to handle such cases.

Feb 15, 2023
Maybe take them out of RAID mode to do the firmware update?

So, yes, this is what I had to do. I absolutely do NOT recommend this method, not without a full (and tested) backup, AND your Windows OS must NOT be on the RAID array. Note that this is for RAID0 - other types should be much simpler by their very nature.

Install a copy of EaseUS Partition Master (home edition is probably good enough).
Get a copy of unetbootin and use it to create bootable USB from Samsung firmware ISO.
Reboot and enter BIOS: break the RAID array, disable secure boot, set to boot from USB.
Reboot, follow prompts to update firmware, remove USB at end.
Reboot and enter BIOS: remove single disk from broken array, create new array.
Reboot and enter Windows.
Use disk manager to init the disk.
Use EaseUS partition recovery wizard.
All done. Check your data, not just the file/folder structure but the actual data.

The above is general guidance only, follow at your own risk, sorry but I can't help you if it all goes horribly wrong.

Reactions: bit_user

USAFRet

Titan
So, yes, this is what I had to do. I absolutely do NOT recommend this method, not without a full (and tested) backup, AND your Windows OS must NOT be on the RAID array. Note that this is for RAID0 - other types should be much simpler by their very nature.
RAID 0 should not be used without a known good backup anyway.
Firmware update or no update.

I'll not comment on the RAID 0 + NVMe.....

Reactions: bit_user