[SOLVED] Samsung 990 Pro M.2 NVMe SSD doesn't show up during Windows 10 install ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

omnilicious

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Before I start - Calvin7's solution did not work for me.

I have a bootable USB, I'm able to reach the Windows install, but when I get to it the part of choosing what drive to install it on, the M.2 drive doesn't show up despite refreshing.

USB Legacy Off
CSM off
Other OS
Secure Keys Cleared

F10 save and restart - windows installed loads - drive doesn't show up. It is the only drive installed on the PC.

Tried *alot* of other settings, no joy.

Samsung 990 pro
EDIT: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero Z690 (NOT 790)

Last edited:
Solution
Solved my own problem - after going into EZ mode I saw and disabled Intel Rapid Storage Technology, which I never saw in the advanced BIOS. NVME drive popped up in the windows install and BIOS shows it as NMVE storage not RAID.
Jun 3, 2023
I am running into this same issue.
I had a 960Pro that I cloned to the 990Pro

I am running on an ASRock Z370 Extreme4.

My 990Pro was undetected the first three times I loaded my pc. Fourth time it was finally detected in BIOS as an empty drive and I was able to clone the data from the 960 in Windows. After the first reboot, the 990 was no longer detected on my pc. The windows install is clean and solid, same exact data and no corruption.

I am able to load my 990 on a separate PC. But it will no longer show in my ASRock BIOS to boot.

EDIT: BIOS was flashed to latest update 2 days ago.

Last edited:
Before I start - Calvin7's solution did not work for me.

I have a bootable USB, I'm able to reach the windows install, but when I get to it the part of choosing what drive to install it on, the M.2 drive doesn't show up despite refreshing.

USB Legacy Off
CSM off
Other OS
Secure Keys Cleared

F10 save and restart - windows installed loads - drive doesn't show up. It is the only drive installed on the PC.

Tried *alot* of other settings, no joy.

Samsung 990 pro
EDIT: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero Z690 (NOT 790)
Does the drive have a GPT (not MBR) partition table? Also, why the Other OS setting and why not UEFI setting? My 990 is installed in an ASUS Strix E Z590 and windows 10 installed no problems.

omnilicious

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Does the drive have a GPT (not MBR) partition table? Also, why the Other OS setting and why not UEFI setting? My 990 is installed in an ASUS Strix E Z590 and windows 10 installed no problems.
I tried both, but in the solution in most of threads with similar issues, Calvin7 posted a specific setup to get windows installed (Example: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cant-install-windows-10-on-m-2.3082008/#post-19208033)

I noticed that my 990pro shows up in my BIOS under RAID:
I'm wondering if I should change that, but I'm unable to find out where to do that.

I haven't formatted the drive since I removed it from the package. I'm not sure what format it starts off as.

I have a 970 pro in my older PC, which had 0 issues with windows install. I didn't expect to spend a week bending tubes and planning out the cooling to get stumped by a windows install :sweatsmile:

omnilicious

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Solved my own problem - after going into EZ mode I saw and disabled Intel Rapid Storage Technology, which I never saw in the advanced BIOS. NVME drive popped up in the windows install and BIOS shows it as NMVE storage not RAID.

Reactions: dwd999
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.