Question Samsung 990 Pro

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zplugger

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Just build new system with the 990 Pro for the OS, I shut the computer down every night with Windows 11 shutdown. Seems like
every time I start it next day it does a disk check and says its repairing C drive? Has new install of windows, is there a way to find out why this happens?

zplugger

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Installed Easy UEFI on a test system with rEFind and all was good. I only had couple sata drives hooked up. Went to my main computer and reinstalled my 990 Pro with the sata drive out and installed windows on it. Installed Easy UEFI on the 990 with rEFind and did the setup. Can't get the 990 to boot to rEFind, Getting a
Invalid Signature Detected: Check Secure Boot Policy in Setup. Went into Bois and Secure Boot is enabled, tried to turn it off and no change. Not sure what to do and change in Bois?

zplugger

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
I installed the 990 back in the system today with Windows11 on it and using EasyUEFI with rEFind and all seems good. My 850 pro is using windows boot manager and 990 is running rEFind boot manager. Will test for couple days to see if I get a check disk error's again. Computer boots just as fast with third party boot loader, I will try to figure out how to change rEFind background to clean it up. Maybe this will be the answer to dual booting. I had to turn off secure boot to get it to work, not sure if that will be a problem.

Reactions: Darkbreeze

zplugger

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Back to square one, rEFind did not solve the problem with constant disk checking on dual boot system. Going to watch windows log view to maybe
find the problem. It only happens when I boot to different drive once in a while. Doing proper shutdown on both systems, and it only the 990 Pro that does diskcheck and fixes errors. Wonder if a program like Deep Freeze would help?

So, instead of using different drives for work and personal, why not just use different profiles? I mean, it's an option anyhow. Perhaps you have specific reasons why you HAVE to use different drives for work and home, but honestly it's hard to come up with a really great reason why you'd have to do that unless it's simply because you do stuff on the "home" system that you are afraid might bork up your "work" system. And if that's the case, then it seems prudent to remind you that backups are not just something you do in your car, they should be an ESSENTIAL part of EVERY person's daily or weekly routine and it doesn't matter whether you are using Acronis true image, or Macrium reflect, or some other backup software (Anything other than Windows "system restore", which frankly, has never worked properly in my experience) nor whether you are backing up to optical disks, or a secondary internal drive, or an external drive, or some form of cloud/online storage, you NEED to have a backup because it's never a question of whether your OS installation or drive might fail, it's always only a question of WHEN.

zplugger

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
I think different profiles would work ok, but it still going to drive me nuts why this does not work with the 990 Pro. I have done
this for years with two Sata drives without any problems, just because I installed a 990Pro should not make a difference. I always
like to get to the bottom of problems, spent to many nights sleepless thinking about stuff. Is their a good software to help trouble shoot this?

You know what would help troubleshoot it, get a different drive and see if you still have the same issue. NVME drives are extremely cheap these days. Just get a small one that's big enough to hold windows and some applications. Heck, until just recently I ran my entire main system's Windows installation on just a 256GB drive and I had a TON of programs on there. Windows itself only takes about 15-20GB for a clean install and I use a lot of major software like the full Adobe suite, the full Microsoft office suite, tons of audio and video recording, rendering and conversion software, game launchers, software for ripping, authoring, playing and converting movies and music, professional automotive shop labor and repair management programs, software for working and communicating with my QNAP NAS, a bunch of web design software and plugins, plenty of various hardware monitoring and testing utilties and on and on, and really never came very close to using up the full 256GB on that drive.

Even now, I'm only using a 512GB OS drive, so for just testing purposes it's an inexpensive option and of course it's always usable after testing if you end up not leaving it in.

There are a butt load of 256GB drives you can get for between 20 and 30 dollars, just to see if you have the same problem with a different model than the 990 Pro. It might not give you the result you're looking for but at least you could eliminate the idea that it might be due to the drive model and move forward. I'm thinking it may potentially have something to do with them being NVME drives which have an entirely different mechanism for control than SATA drives do. What exactly about that which could cause this, I'm not sure, but the more you can narrow things down the easier it will be to figure out.

zplugger

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Funny you should suggest a different drive, I did try another NVMe brand drive and had same problems. I turn off
disk check in registry and going to see if I have any problems. Maybe once a week will run it to fix any problems. Right
now seems to be running OK. But this happened before so not sure what will happen. Right now I have my old Sata drive back in, so running
3 drives right now and boot to the one I need.

Reactions: Darkbreeze