News Samsung Approached To Make 7-Inch OLED Display for the Next-Gen Nintendo Switch

Giroro

Splendid
Samsung's OLED displays are pentile, so I would be pretty disappointed if it's used for a portable console. For every pixel the hardware renders, only 2/3rd of a pixel is displayed. Also they are laid out in more of a chain-link-fence diamond pattern instead of a square grid, so straight lines look jagged. That's not great for text, pixel art, and classic Nintendo games. To me, they only look good at crazy-high (pseudo) pixel densities, which is a waste of rendering power and battery life. The QHD screen on my phone looks like it has a FHD screen, essentially. Which still looks good on a phone.. But you look at an older "720p" Samsung OLED screen on something like a Galaxy S3, it's pretty chunky. The jagged text is super distracting. That's probably the approximate pixel density and price/quality bracket for what Nintendo would use if they put a 7 inch1080p screen in the Switch. Maybe they could brute-force their way around some of that with a 1440p screen and a good upscaler, but I wouldn't expect Nintendo to chase numbers like that.
At least the color is nice ot these oleds, and they've gotten better at making the screens visible in sunlight and glare.

Reactions: jakjawagon
Nintendo might join Sony and Microsoft in the next-gen console market sooner than expected.
That seems unlikely, especially for something with the Switch's form factor. More likely, this will be a less significant half-generation update running the same games as the original, and if there are any performance enhancements, they will be relatively minor. Any 4K output of games from the device will likely be upscaled. Things like battery life and weight could also see improvements though.

TRENDING THREADS