Samsung ATIV Tab Review: A Tablet To Hold Your Breath For?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
While we were at CES, however, we met up with Lazslo Kishonti, CEO of Kishonti Informatics and the developer of GLBenchmark. He pointed out that Atom-based tablets running Windows RT are more likely to deliver different levels of performance.
Er, you mean Atom-based tablets running Windows 8? (Page 6, Paragraph 11)
Power consumption graphs says this tablet has Z2760.Our setup is pretty basic: we set BrowsingBench to run in battery life mode, which prevents the browser from caching data. Instead of
Where's the rest of this paragraph? (Page 6, Paragraph 13)

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Also, I'm not sure what's up with the Futuremark Peacekeeper and Rightware Browsermark results, but we know damn well the Krait S4 in this tab is a better performer in every way to the Tegra 3. Not sure why go with the S4 Play with the dual-core Krait and Adreno 225 instead of an S4 Pro with quad-core Krait and Adreno 320, though, especially in a tablet form-factor.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
[citation][nom]Kyuuketsuki[/nom]Not sure why go with the S4 Play with the dual-core Krait and Adreno 225 instead of an S4 Pro with quad-core Krait and Adreno 320, though, especially in a tablet form-factor.[/citation]
Because Win8 is already a battery hog compared to Android, and adding power hungry cores will make that worse.
I dont see any issues with S4 pro and Android.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Kyuuketsuki[/nom]Er, you mean Atom-based tablets running Windows 8? (Page 6, Paragraph 11)Where's the rest of this paragraph? (Page 6, Paragraph 13)[/citation]
Fixed!

dokterprio

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
Why there is difference in power usage between ativ tab and ativ smartpc 500t. I think they are the same, except the screen size.

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
[citation][nom]dokterprio[/nom]Why there is difference in power usage between ativ tab and ativ smartpc 500t. I think they are the same, except the screen size.[/citation]
Sorry, we had the charts labelled the same. The ATIV Smart PC 500T has an Atom and runs Windows 8, while the ATIV Tab has an ARM-based chip from Qualcomm and runs Windows RT - they are actually very different devices.

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]BrowsingBench scores: are the ipads in correct order?[/citation]
Seems to be, I haven't used this benchmark yet myself, and I'd have to check with the author to be sure, but I'd guess that these results are inversely reflecting the resolution of the different iPads.

Psycomo

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
"Can we say we blame Samsung? Hardly. Just imagine answering this one all day long: "So wait, it's Windows, but I can't install Chrome on it? I'm limited to that weak list of apps in the Windows Store? I wish I knew that before I bought this thing!""

What a load of shite. If you can sell it abroad you can sell it in the US. If that is what they are thinking then they wouldnt be able to release it anywhere.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
So... in 'reality' what resolution is the Rertina iPad running at when compared to screen space and productivity... yep, you can't compare them. Heck, a 1080p screen, for work, on a tablet blows the Retina away. Trouble is... you'll go blind so you might as well increase the DPI.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Psycomo[/nom]What a load of shite. If you can sell it abroad you can sell it in the US. If that is what they are thinking then they wouldnt be able to release it anywhere.[/citation]
I think they are passing judgement on typical Joe America here, not the fizzed up techy types (minority) but the dumbass hillbillies (vast majority) that have access to a local Best Buy but are as technically clued up as Amish folk.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]adamovera[/nom]Seems to be, I haven't used this benchmark yet myself, and I'd have to check with the author to be sure, but I'd guess that these results are inversely reflecting the resolution of the different iPads.[/citation]
Ah, that way. But does that mean there was no standard resolution used for testing? But then i guess that wouldn't reflect the "out of the box" experience...

G

It's nice to have Office, but there's just so much else missing.

Jan 24, 2013
I don't know what Samsung model was reviewed, I was hoping they were reviewing the Samsung ATIV SmartPC model XE700T1C that is available in Canada. The specs for the Canadian model address most of the shortcomings revealed in the review.
Samsung ATIV SmartPC model XE700T1C
Chips - Intel® Core™ i5 Processor 3317U (1.70 GHz, 3 MB L3 Cache), Intel HM76, Intel® HD Graphics 4000, 4 GB DDR3 System Memory at 1600 MHz
11.6" FHD LED Display (1920 x 1080), LCD-Touch Screen, S Pen (with Watcom 1024 Level Pressure Sensitivity Digitizer)
Ports - Micro HDMI, Micro SD, USB3.0, Headphone out /Mic-in Combo, Dock Port, DC-in
Bluetooth V4.0, Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235, 2 x 2 802.11b/g/n (up to 300 Mbps), Widi Support
- Multimedia - HD Audio, SoundAlive™, 1.6 W Stereo Speaker (0.8 W x 2), 2 MP + 5 MP Dual Cam
- Physical Specification, 304.0 x 189.4 x 11.9 mm (11.97" x 7.46" x 0.47"), 0.88 kg (1.94 lbs)
- Power - 40 Watt, 4 Cell (49Wh)

Please review this model

mas

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004
So is the goal to simply reproduce a laptop in the form factor of a tablet?
In that case I already possess a full featured laptop that renders the tablet superfluous.

On the other hand, if they incorporated full phone capabilities aka the Note2, (especially how about a phone function that includes ALL of the major phone & data carrier bands, making it a true international device?????????

Also, include multiple user exchangeable micro SDHD (64-128GB) memory cards!

And also implement a robust secure tightly integrated OS level RDP functionality that worked reliably everytime (esp if they could add the ability to securely remotely boot a computer),

THEN I would have NO NEED for complete Windows functionality, nor would I risk the same degree of data exposure as carrying about a laptop!

In other words, a truly converged device with both phone, user exchangeable memory, and remote secure policy driven robust reliable RDP would produce a compelling device offering me all the functionality I need.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]mas[/nom]So is the goal to simply reproduce a laptop in the form factor of a tablet?[/citation]
For many, yes, as they've told themselves that that is more portable (I don't see it but to each their own).

Status
Not open for further replies.