Samsung Backing Linux-based Tizen With $500,000 Seat

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukee1593

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
My 2 cents ...

$500 000 USD seat? For a company like Samsung this is chicken feed! Samsung will be spending a lot more than that developing prototypes for this OS (which are (ATM) most probably just a respin of Android hardware!)

Should Google be scared? ... no! At the moment $500 000 will be Samsung just getting a "foot in the door" in case Tizen takes off sometime soon!

mihaimm

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
[citation][nom]ukee1593[/nom]Should Google be scared? ... no! At the moment $500 000 will be Samsung just getting a "foot in the door" in case Tizen takes off sometime soon![/citation]
Samsung already has Bada and that's getting nowhere. They need an OS that's free and open source (until now Android would fit) and it's not backed by a single company (there goes Android). While there are many companies contributing to Android, Google is in control. And I get the distinct feeling that after the Motorola acquisition, nobody is too pleased with that. Tizen on the other hand is exactly what Sammy needs. Especially with Qualcom & Intel already there... Competition is good!

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
"By* purchasing a Platinum membership" not buy lol :p otherwise this is interesting because more platforms equal more competition which will lead to better innovation and possibly price drops :)

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]maqsabre[/nom]Tizen should prove a worthy alternative to android,as it also supports all of the android apps[/citation]
I hadn't heard about that, but it makes little difference if Google doesn't allow Play Market in there.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
Will it support apt-get as a market place? For Open-Source only software, with an additional proprietary app store. Because you do not need Google Play in order to be successful as Amazon market has shown.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Samsung has a huge stake in the smartphone business. With Android being attacked on several fronts, Samsung needs a fallback alternative in case Android stumbles.

dreadllokz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
Blame windows crap 8! Everyone needs Linux based devices, dell is doing the same... will be cheaper, and ppl will be able to instal their windows 7 original or pirate!

zulutech

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
[citation][nom]ukee1593[/nom]^^ Will Tizen have enough patents behind it to protects it from Patent Trolls like Apple and Microsoft?[/citation]
Open source. It's not subject to patents.

G

"Currently only SIX OTHER companies have joined the foundation at that level: IBM, Oracle, Intel, Fujitsu and Qualcomm Innovation Center." We're missing another one it seems.

G

At least they are trying to make someting NEW. Linux does need opensource drivers for the devices inside the cell phones like DSP chips used for OpenGL and video codec. Some people use the same chips to run ARM-based desktop systems.
I see this as a good news.
I hope they`ll allow the legacy linux apps to work on the smartphones which is better than having to write `em in java for android.

Status
Not open for further replies.