Samsung Cancels Windows RT Tablets Release in U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't surprise anyone. Why would a large company like Samsung jump on a boat that is just floating around in the ocean without any steam behind it. Good job Microsoft, you killed your tablet by charging way to much for a new product that was introduced into a market already saturated by the Ipad groupies and the Andriod loyalists. I would have bought a Surface if it was $400 with touch keypad. They were never going to compete at the same price point as the two already tried and true platforms.

Microsoft Fail.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
No............
They are butthurt over microsoft making it's own tablets to expose people to Win8.
It's nothing new for MS to make "intro" hardware for it's OS's....
And it's nothing new for some butthurt company to pound it's fists over it as well...

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]No............They are butthurt over Microsoft making it's own tablets to expose people to Win8.It's nothing new for MS to make "intro" hardware for it's OS's....And it's nothing new for some butthurt company to pound it's fists over it as well...[/citation]
Yeah, Toshiba and Samsung are the ones getting hurt over not producing tablets for MS. /sarcasm
Its MS that's going to be hurt due EXTREME lack of exposure on an already low receiving OS. Toshiba and Samsung are already extremely successful, not to mention better suited to handle multiple devices and applications as is proof by their massive portfolios. The fact that they actually paid attention to what consumer groups were saying and building a case around it already makes them better than MS, which didn't listen to almost any of the people beta testing W8. Create a W7/W8 hybrid and a leave RT and WP8 alone.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
[citation][nom]gavenr[/nom]old news[/citation]
Sorry if i don't keep up with current news, but i was unaware of this, though not unexpected. So maybe this article was just written for me thx Zak! ;)

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Given that most people don't care about Windows RT and everyone was waiting for Surface Pro to release anyways, this isn't that big a deal. Microsoft's only hope to save Windows RT is for RT based tablets to have a budget price with premium quality. Than people would be more willing to buy one. Since I don't see it happening, Windows RT will have had a short run.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
[citation][nom]rebel1280[/nom]The fact that they actually paid attention to what consumer groups were saying and building a case around it already makes them better than MS[/citation]
QFT +1

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
[citation][nom]rebel1280[/nom]Yeah, Toshiba and Samsung are the ones getting hurt over not producing tablets for MS. /sarcasmIts MS that's going to be hurt due EXTREME lack of exposure on an already low receiving OS. Toshiba and Samsung are already extremely successful, not to mention better suited to handle multiple devices and applications as is proof by their massive portfolios. The fact that they actually paid attention to what consumer groups were saying and building a case around it already makes them better than MS, which didn't listen to almost any of the people beta testing W8. Create a W7/W8 hybrid and a leave RT and WP8 alone.[/citation]

No, they admitted they were mad over MS making their own hardware... There are articles even on tom's that say so.
I'm not saying anything about Win8.... I'm saying companies are mad at MS for putting out hardware and competing with companies that don't normally compete with each other...

I can tell that there are at least 4 people here that don't get the point and automatically think it's Win8's fault... but thats not the point...

booyaah

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]No, they admitted they were mad over MS making their own hardware... There are articles even on tom's that say so.I'm not saying anything about Win8.... I'm saying companies are mad at MS for putting out hardware and competing with companies that don't normally compete with each other...I can tell that there are at least 4 people here that don't get the point and automatically think it's Win8's fault... but thats not the point...[/citation]

Google brands the Nexus, it's not like Samsung pulled their Galaxy S4. I don't see a big difference. But yeah they really do need to drop the price down by $100.

[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]No, they admitted they were mad over MS making their own hardware... There are articles even on tom's that say so.I'm not saying anything about Win8.... I'm saying companies are mad at MS for putting out hardware and competing with companies that don't normally compete with each other...I can tell that there are at least 4 people here that don't get the point and automatically think it's Win8's fault... but thats not the point...[/citation]
I think you're confused between WinRT and Win8. Not the same animal. Win8 has a pretty good chance, but WinRT... DOA.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Eh, RT is really to compete in the Android/iOS tablet market, which is already saturated and is going to be hard to break into. Win8 tablets are a whole other beast, and should catch on better as long as they can release good hardware at a competitive price.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Too bad MS RT didnt catch on. As a mobile OS it is not bad at all but mainly just a case of being late to the party. Luckily MS has the money to keep pushing stuff after everyone else and hope it catches on later.

G

I hope Samsung reuse the design and specification to release as an android tablet which will be unsueable by the fruits of the computing world, that way it won't have to take another bite of the apple.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
Not surprising. It's not that it's Microsoft or anything, but I can easily see where someone can go "Why can't I use my old stuff on here?" I feel that the x86 tablets will be much more of a threat than the RT ones

halcyon

Splendid
Is Win RT as refined as Android 4.1/4.2? I just don't get what the motivation would be to choose RT outside of just wanting to tinker because one has money to waste.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Honestly I think MS needed to introduce low end RT products to build up a consumer base for this. Compete with the Chromebook's in price it should be doable as they can both use ARM and don't have to rely on more expensive intel CPU's, lower power consumption, etc. Hardware wise they be similar but RT will be more full featured, and if done properly will probably dominate low end laptops if they do it right.

Hybrid Laptop/Tablet is a nice idea but their prohibitively expensive which puts it out of reach of a lot of people.

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012

RT sucks worse than 8, at least there is application software for 8. RT won't get off the ground because people don't want to pay that much for the relatively few apps available for it and devs won't write for it because it doesn't have critical mass because nobody wants it... Spiral of death. Has nothing to do with 8 other than some of the people who are buying RT tabs are expecting 8 functionality which they aren't getting.

Samsung and Toshiba and HP have seen RT for what it is... a sinking ship. Sure they weren't happy that MS made it's own hardware, but THAT isn't what is keeping companies from releasing RT devices.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Is Win RT as refined as Android 4.1/4.2? I just don't get what the motivation would be to choose RT outside of just wanting to tinker because one has money to waste.[/citation]While I don't own a WinRT or Win8 tablet myself, I actually like WinRT better than Android. If Surface drops in price I might pick one up. It is just nice all around. Nice interface, solid construction, good antenna, microSD, full-size USB port, etc. The app store is growing, and there are a heap of apps that run on both x86 Win8 and ARM WinRT. I think that's the best part about WinRT/Win8. The majority of apps run on both platforms, this is not something MS could have done so well with their previous platforms. Also you can buy an app and download it on multiple Win8/WinRT devices, so long as you access them with the same MS account.

I also think iPads are pretty decent too, really - I just don't care much for Apple.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Win RT is a failed and flawed concept.

MS needs to put all of its eggs into the x86 and cancel this junk OS. Ok it might be fine OS, but there is too much competition in the ARM market and MS came too late to the party.

But people will buy and flock to x86 tablets which convert to laptops. And when those are priced at $400 bucks then they be a serious challenge. MS needs to get a Win 8 phone out as well (x86 with an Intel processor).

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
what many posters seem to miss is that they arn't talking about not making win 8 tablets , just not amking windows RT tablets , samsung already has windows 8 tablets on the market , really window RT is an idiotic move on MS's part as it doesn't reduce the tablet cost any and many companies already ahvea win 8 tablets the full blown version of the OS . Window's RT is pointless and was just Ms tweeking their own knobs .

Status
Not open for further replies.