Samsung Chromebook: What The Netbook Should Have Been

Status
Not open for further replies.

guess who

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
Agree 100%. This is what the netbook should have been. The trouble is, Wintel high-jacked the category to control the market and keep selling their low end stuff, often at inflated prices - in the case of Intel. There was no attempt to build anything with the customers' needs in mind.

The chickens are coming home to roost. By being fat, lazy and greedy, Wintel left the door wide open for ARM and Google. It serves them right and I will buy a couple. If I can split the SSD and install a full Linux distro also, the Chromebook will be darn near perfect for casual use and travel.

ram1009

Distinguished
I will never understand the preoccupation with the appearance of a computer. This author actually refers to sexiness. I wonder if someone will find a way to attach a vagina to a laptop. That might even interest me.

apone

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
@ guess who

If you want to point fingers, blame Asus. Asus pioneered the "netbook" concept back in 2007 because they realized there are many consumers who want to be able to quickly check email and web browse on the go without having to lug around a bulky 15.6" notebook. Also many first generation netbooks ran on Linux (to save on manufacturing cost and retail price) but then Windows XP and 7 Starter eventually became available on netbooks with increased customer demand.

@ Wolfgang Gruener

" I could not help finding myself constantly comparing the Chromebook to Apple's iPad, which has become a standard entertainment device in our household."

Not sure how you can honestly make that comparison; It's no mystery that the iPad is a misfit entertainment toy and is hardly practical for getting serious office work done. Chromebooks, netbooks, and notebooks far more functionality which makes sense as a mobile "office work productivity" solution.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
" I could not help finding myself constantly comparing the Chromebook to Apple's iPad, which has become a standard entertainment device in our household." Not sure how you can honestly make that comparison; It's no mystery that the iPad is a misfit entertainment toy and is hardly practical for getting serious office work done. Chromebooks, netbooks, and notebooks far more functionality which makes sense as a mobile "office work productivity" solution.[/citation]
Isn't that pretty much what he said in the article?

apone

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
@ Maxor127

- Yes but my point was that it doesn't make sense to compare apples and oranges. Instead, compare the iPad to another tablet (pick your favorite Android tablet) and compare the Chromebook against the latest netbook s available.

jeffyablon

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
I like your "what the netbook should have been" point, and in fact I bought and have started using the new Chromebook as a replacement for the netbook I used for 2+ years and was never happy with.

http://answerguy.com/2012/11/05/google-chromebook-desktops-browser-business-change/

And I love that you stayed focused on that instead of devolving as so many have into conversations about what the Chromebook isn't. Fact: It's good enough for 95% of people 95% of the time.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
[citation][nom]jeffyablon[/nom]Fact: It's good enough for 95% of people 95% of the time.[/citation]

That is why I like to think of it as a "Internet Device" that connects to the internet and does nothing else. Chances are the next time a family member comes to me to ask which computer to get I will point them to one of these and setup their other computer as a backup/everything else computer. I bet they will love the simplicity and how it just freaking works aspect of it.

Almost bought one too till I realized it didn't support Java which would have made my uses for college useless since my schools version of Blackboard (take online tests, down HW, etc) requires Java to even work. I was disapointed when I found that out I really want a chromebook.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]anastopholies[/nom]You have a bunch of abandoned netbooks in the corner???... I'd adopt them.[/citation]

next tom's contest "win wolfgang's leftovers" .. i'd enter :)

ianray

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
@assassin32

There is an extension called "rndr" that will run java apps.

Blackboard mostly works except for anything which needs a webcam or audio (it is running java as a session on Amazon server, so your local audio/webcam is not available, yet)

What it does not work for is older versions of Hyperion which is a little disappointing, even though I can't stand Hyperion when it does work.

Nakecat

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
"identity crisis"

So true, it will be a lot easier to use unified tablet os and switch it to the laptop ui once it attaches to a keyboard dock with port replicator to become a latop. almost like a hybrid beast.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
[citation][nom]ianray[/nom]@assassin32There is an extension called "rndr" that will run java apps.Blackboard mostly works except for anything which needs a webcam or audio (it is running java as a session on Amazon server, so your local audio/webcam is not available, yet)What it does not work for is older versions of Hyperion which is a little disappointing, even though I can't stand Hyperion when it does work.[/citation]

Thanks I look into that.

G

I have an arm chromebook. I really like it as an entertainment device and prefer it to our ipad. The CB is light, it comes on fast. It's just a really low resistance experience, and it's the pure web. Furthermore I don't like holding or propping up a tablet to watch videos. I do like being able to use that same device to get information or do work. I think iOS and Android are cool, but I honestly like them more on a phone. To me tablets are kind of a drag. Also the CB feels robust. I hardly care about dropping it, honestly I kind of look forward to dropping it because I'm pretty sure it will take a beating. Plastic is a feature here. And finally when I do inevitably destroy the thing perhaps by running it through the laundry or driving over it, there will be exactly zero marginal effort switching to another one. I like it.

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
[citation][nom]guess who[/nom]If I can split the SSD and install a full Linux distro also, the Chromebook will be darn near perfect for casual use and travel.[/citation]Ubuntu has been ported to ARM (not necessarily in a decent manner (yet)). There's a version made for the Nexus 7. Maybe they (or another distro maker) may make one fashioned for ARM Chromebooks (or maybe just this one if not more are made). :)

G

On my Chromebook the Search key replaces the Caps Lock key, not the "Tab".

elsaaliyah

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
i love my samsung chromebook! for $249 i said why not?! if i dont like it i have 30 days to return it. so far i love it and so does my wife and 9 year old daughter. what i love the most is how i open the it up and it immediately boots up, within seconds people. my daughter loves how its so thin and light and she can carry it all over the house. my wife loves the simple, sexy, look to it.hands down it def won this family over and we are totally planning to make great memories with it!

windywoo

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
I haven't seen any review yet mention the range of apps beyond, "There aren't as many as on the iPad". I had a casual look myself in Google Chrome on my ION netbook but I can't test the performance and I don't really have the time to see if there are apps in all the major categories, even if there aren't so many there.

I tested Cut the Rope in Chrome and it wasn't entirely smooth but it was playable. It wouldn't run fullscreen either. The native Windows 8 Cut the Rope ran smoothly in full screen.

How does Office 365 run? Or other online office suites? I've always found Google's own to be severely lacking.

boogiedownhardware

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
I recently purchased a chromebook a few weeks ago and well I love it. The obvious cons are of course the apps. I just can't get over the fact that apps are pretty much just websites. Chrome os would bd infinitely better if it could run some android apps. I started to use my chromebook for work and theres not much of an issue there. I already started using google play for my android devices so media was not an issue either.

Any one thinking about buying a chromebook, please go for one with a cellular connection, it will make your life so much easier.

Also it doesn't hurt to be fan of google.

boogiedownhardware

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
I recently purchased a chromebook a few weeks ago and well I love it. The obvious cons are of course the apps. I just can't get over the fact that apps are pretty much just websites. Chrome os would bd infinitely better if it could run some android apps. I started to use my chromebook for work and theres not much of an issue there. I already started using google play for my android devices so media was not an issue either.

Any one thinking about buying a chromebook, please go for one with a cellular connection, it will make your life so much easier.

Also it doesn't hurt to be fan of google.

G

This device is fantastic of a majority of the things I do on a computer that aren't work. Unfortunately some of applications in the Chrome Store don't work with this ARM processor so I can't use applications like Chrome RDP to get back to my desktop. Guess I gotta walk back into my office to sit in front of the box... First World Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.