Samsung Chromebox Gets i5 CPU Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]extremepcs[/nom]You need an i5 to run a glorified web browser OS?[/citation]

well looking at web gl and the future of the cloud for processing applications and some of the run actual code on the browser stuff... i could see an i5 as a unnecessary tool in the coming years.

Estix

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
The Core i5-2450M in the Chromebox is, by the way, very similar to the CPU Apple offers in its base $599 Mac mini setup, with the exception that Apple claims that its i5 chip has 4 MB cache, which is not officially offered by Intel for the i5 series.

Can anyone verify / explain this?

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]extremepcs[/nom]You need an i5 to run a glorified web browser OS?[/citation]

Well I use my MAC mini for home security with Ext HDD and another for Home Entertainment system. These types of systems have their purposes :)

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]well looking at web gl and the future of the cloud for processing applications and some of the run actual code on the browser stuff... i could see an i5 as a unnecessary tool in the coming years.[/citation]

I'd give it at least 3-5 years. Many games still don't support more than four cores, which is why the i5 Ks are often considered better value for gaming than the i7 Ks.

[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]I'd give it at least 3-5 years. Many games still don't support more than four cores, which is why the i5 Ks are often considered better value for gaming than the i7 Ks.[/citation]

Sorry, but nitpicking here.

Most desktop i7s are quad core parts just like most desktop i5s. Furthermore, games don't see cores. Games see threads, if even that. It would be accurate to say that most games do not utilize more than four threads very effectively if at all and that wouldn't imply anything wrong either.

EDIT: Also worth mentioning is that the number of gamign situations where higher thread CPUs such as six to eight threads are getting better and better utilized as time goes on, so for the sake of decreasing the chances of an upgrade being important any time soon, higher thread count CPUs can be helpful.

[citation][nom]anonymous_user[/nom]Couldn't they at least used an Ivy Bridge processor for its HD4000 graphics?[/citation]

Key point here is undoubtedly pricing. These older models are probably being sold with heavy discounts due to not being the newest models, hence their being used isntead of Celerons. If instead of these Sandy models, you wanted Ivy models, you'd probably get i3s at best and Pentiums at worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.