Samsung Confirms Exynos 5440 Quad-Core Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironslice

Honorable
May 1, 2012
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]Where did the 4 extra cores come from?[/citation]

2 Processors apparently. 1 Exynos 5 Quad and a weaker one for less intensive apps to save battery life.

zzz_b

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
Looks amazing, just worried about battery life.
I am due for an update on my phone, so this might be it, if the battery life is good enough.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]zzz_b[/nom]Looks amazing, just worried about battery life.I am due for an update on my phone, so this might be it, if the battery life is good enough.[/citation]

smart phone just use alot of juice, my galaxy nexus i love it but after a few hours of use is dead, but i got a 10,000 mAh battery pack and just carry around both so now i never run out of juice and just charge em both at night. i think we are years away from smart phones to have the battery life of the old cell phones

becherovka

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
All the major players are working on better power management, eventually it will be power consumption per thread that matters. Some of this is part of the cpu design, Intel are working hard on it look at their plan (see link), but some is also software and I hope project runway works as planned. I hate to say it but apple did do a decent job on their processors / software, I am guessing we are about to see a few big changes.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6355/intels-haswell-architecture/2

[citation][nom]madjimms[/nom]Looks pretty damn sexy.[/citation]
That's a rendering, not how the phone will look like; same was used before the SGS3 launched, and nobody knew how the phone looked until launch conference.
Disappointed to see Tom's using the same rendering again and again without any proof, thus feeding assumptions.

halcyon

Splendid
^Besides that looks too iPhone 4ish. I'd like to see some metal (or high quality and durable material) but I understand their use of plastics. I hope the S4 is a fresh design.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
They threw their Exynos 5250 which is a dual core version in the new Samsung Chromebook which seems to be well liked. I am hoping they put these Quad Exynos 5440 in a Chromebox and try to bring price down to around $150 or so. At that price point there's more arguments to buy one than not to. Not to mention I would want to see how long it take till someone puts ubuntu on it, turns it into a great little HTPC, etc.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]Ironslice[/nom]2 Processors apparently. 1 Exynos 5 Quad and a weaker one for less intensive apps to save battery life.[/citation]
Well then it's not octo core.

markt9002

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
[citation][nom]edlivian[/nom]gpu is probably Mali T604 (with 1-4 cores)although I wish it was Mali T658[/citation]

I hope it's not a T-604, but I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung went with that GPU for cost reasons. I really hope it's a PowerVR SGX544MP3, or at least a Mali T-628. It won't be a SGX554MPx, or a T-678 because both of those chips are geared towards tablets.

Status
Not open for further replies.