Question Samsung Curved Monitor Issue, please help!

Dec 31, 2019
I have an ongoing issue that I am hoping someone can help me with. I did a new build last week.
MSI X570 Gaming Plus MB
Radeon 3600X
Sapphire Pule 5700 XT
G.Skill Ram 3200 16gig

I had an issue when I went to install graphics drivers, the install would get to about 70% and the screen would go black. On rebooting, it would stay black. I could see the bios screen and then nothing. I tried EVERYTHING I could think of, different graphics card, new motherboard, DDU, bios settings, power supply, ram, etc...NOTHING worked!

I tried installing Windows on an old sata drive, thinking it might be the M.2 I had, like I say, I tried everything. Same issue, 70% in, black screen...after about 10 minutes, I reboot, black screen.

I pull out my phone and Googled more info and all of a sudden, I heard a familiar Windows chime from my computer...so, Windows was running, I just couldnt see it. I went and got the monitor from my sons room and plugged it in, Windows popped right up! The graphics driver showed the Radeon 5700 XT installed! Everything was working as it should, Radeon software, etc.

So, I ended up taking my monitor, a 2 year old Samsung Curved 27", Model c27f391fhn and plugging it in my sons 2 week old build, same stats as above with the exception of the GPU, he has a 5700 RX vs my XT and a B450 MB.

Turn it on, black screen, wont display Windows. So, I go out and buy a brand new 27" MSI Curved Monitor, plug it in my rig and Windows pops right up, no issues.

I would love to still use the Samsung, if nothing else, give it to my son or give him the new MSI and revert back to the Samsung. I tried different HDMI cables and that didnt work. I never would have thought that all the issued were monitor related on this build...I spent 40-50 hours on this, swapping parts, etc...Micro Center probably hates me right now!! LOL

Any ideas???

Dec 31, 2019
I have not tried either suggestions but I will, thank you!
I looked at the ports on the monitor last night. It appears there are only 2, HDMI and looks like VGA? I got a displayport cable with the MSI that I was going to try but the monitor doesnt support it. I will try a DP to HDMI if the reset doesnt work.

Thanks again!!

If the monitor is working in BIOS then there is nothing wrong with the monitor.
Its a connectivity issue. Try changing cables and alter between VGA and HDMI.

Some monitors only work with their original cables that come bundled with them.

If the monitor is working in BIOS then there is nothing wrong with the monitor.

Probably, but not a definite.
I've seen issues with improper signaling with certain monitor ports that only manifest with particular GPUs. A replacement (exact same monitor) fixed this.

Some monitors only work with their original cables that come bundled with them.

Can you give us an example? Don't think I've ever seen this.
As long as you are using the right type of cable, down to the specs, it should work. Some monitor cables are keyed differently depending on the specific type.I think there are 4 or 5 different versions of DVI cable, for instance. But, as long as you get the correct replacement, it should work.

Probably, but not a definite.
I've seen issues with improper signaling with certain monitor ports that only manifest with particular GPUs. A replacement (exact same monitor) fixed this.

Can you give us an example? Don't think I've ever seen this.
As long as you are using the right type of cable, down to the specs, it should work. Some monitor cables are keyed differently depending on the specific type.I think there are 4 or 5 different versions of DVI cable, for instance. But, as long as you get the correct replacement, it should work.

My monitor displays a message to use the original cable if a non-original cable is used.
Also some people online have difficulties finding compatible cables, non-original cables will work but not all and those that work might display non-original cable message.

Its only some monitors though.

Interesting.
What make and model is this monitor? Is it a specialty monitor for a specific functioning system? POS systems, maybe?
Its LG 27UL600 , oddly, when I ran it for the first time, it displayed non-original cable message with the original cable so maybe it does that with all cables. It only displayed that message 2-3 times when I turn on the monitor when I first used the monitor. Luckily it doesn't display this message anymore.

Here is some people with the same issue:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/questi...question/155fb819-f641-3922-93ff-3fe77d30994a

Dec 31, 2019
The monitor I am using is about 3 years old. I did a google search using the model # listed in my original post and its still being sold!
The monitor works fine on a fresh install of Windows, belive me, I know, I formatted the SSD 2 dozen times and reinstalled it.
The problem arises when I go to install drivers for the 5700 XT.
Then, is when I get nothing but the black screen. When I reboot, I see my Bios screen and can navigate bios fine. Thats why I never thought it was a monitor or connection issue since it worked fine in bios.
Once it went to boot into Windows is when it went dark. Its only when i heard a familiar chime did I even realize Windows was running and I just coulnt see it. Off to micro center now!

The monitor I am using is about 3 years old. I did a google search using the model # listed in my original post and its still being sold!
The monitor works fine on a fresh install of Windows, belive me, I know, I formatted the SSD 2 dozen times and reinstalled it.
The problem arises when I go to install drivers for the 5700 XT.
Then, is when I get nothing but the black screen. When I reboot, I see my Bios screen and can navigate bios fine. Thats why I never thought it was a monitor or connection issue since it worked fine in bios.
Once it went to boot into Windows is when it went dark. Its only when i heard a familiar chime did I even realize Windows was running and I just coulnt see it. Off to micro center now!
Are you installing the latest Adrenalin drivers?

It could be a faulty GPU and you would need to RMA it.
Can you try your GPU in another PC?

Dec 31, 2019
Yes, the latest adrenaline drivers and then the prior 5-6 before that as well. Same thing thing every time. GPU is good, I originally had bought a Red Dragon 5700 RX and that was the 1st item I replaced thinking it was bad. I got the 5700 XT and still had the issue.
Next to go back was the X570 MB I started the build with..and I bought a different brand, and had the issues still.
I swapped my GPU into my sons new Box and it cranked right up.
We swapped his copy of windos on his M.2 into m.jy machine and it worked, however, I had my box plugged into his monitor at the time! At that point, I swapped at PSU, RAM, and nothing worked.

His rig worked flawlessy from 1st boot until last night when I plugged the Samsung monitor in question into it, then he had the same issues.

So, it cant be anything in the rig, either of them..since they both preform well with another monitor attached. It has to be the monitor itself...funny though, until I try to install Adrenaline, the Samsung works great.
Believe me, I went NUTS trying to figure it out. I was close to boxing all the parts up and bringing them back and starting a new build from scratch...going Intel vs. AMD, 2060 GPU instead of 5700, etc.

Dec 31, 2019
I forgot to add, once I bought the new MSI monitor and hooked it up, my rig didnt hiccup. UNTIL.... I tried to install a Cablepro Vertical Beacked and PCI riser cable. Then, everytime the fans on the GPU started to spin, my monitor cut out! I spent 69 bucks for it and wanted to use it. Reinstalled the card horizontally and it preformed perfectly. Needless to say, I returned the bracket and got my 69 bucks back last night, lol
Used it as a coupon so to speak and got my kid a Razer keyboard instead. Its been a long 10 days! In Micro center lot now, going to pickup a DP to HDMI and see if it works..not holding my breath. I will report back the results. Just a shame not to be able to use the Samsung, 27 inch curved...the MSI I got has better specs. refresh rates, resolution, etc...but I just really like my Sammy.

Dec 31, 2019
Well, back from Micro Center with a DP to HDMI converter. Plugged it in, booted, MB logo came up as it always does., then it goes into the dreaded black screen.

The gpu has 4 ports, 1 HDMI and 3 DP. Tried all 4 with same results. Tried all 4 on my sons 24 in Acer monitor and Windows log in screen appeared on all 4 attempts. I hot swapped all 4 times.

So, back to the Samsung...it and only shows a black screen meaning Windows log in screen is there, its just not being displayed.
This only happens after installing the driver package, before that, the monitor works fine with the default basic graphics display.

Back to the drawing board...and yes, I tried the OEM cable as well as a couple others.

Jan 30, 2020
I don't have a solution but think I am having a very similar issue. I have 32" curved Samsung that will continually go black since hooking up to my new computer. The only way I have been able to keep the screen on has been with it in eye saver mode. Have you tried this?