[SOLVED] Samsung D Die doesn't even overclock to 2600MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technologify

Honorable
Jul 3, 2016
I have samsung d-die ram (m378a5143db0-cpb) which isn't the best but should be easy to do close to 3000Mhz, no?

So no matter how much I push it, it can't boot at 2600mhz. I try timings 20-20-20-44 at 2T, 1.4V, and it doesn't post at all. my motherboard is x99 deluxe ii with i7 5820k cpu. The ram posts at 2400mhz (but it was unstable even in bios)

Reactions: JoeMadrid
Solution
That's odd. They post with same config and don't post with same config.

To a point, they will.

I'm not saying it is the fact they're not 100% identical that's causing the issue.... it's very unlikely to be so - I'm merely pointing out that, if you want to find the limit of a given DIMM, you have to treat it in isolation, otherwise the lesser of the two (in terms of what it needs for voltage/timings) always has the potential to hold the 'better' of the two back.

In this case, it doesn't seem like either of those DIMMs is capable of >2400MHz anyway, so it's a moot point.
I have samsung d-die ram (m378a5143db0-cpb) which isn't the best but should be easy to do close to 3000Mhz, no?

So no matter how much I push it, it can't boot at 2600mhz. I try timings 20-20-20-44 at 2T, 1.4V, and it doesn't post at all. my motherboard is x99 deluxe ii with i7 5820k cpu. The ram posts at 2400mhz (but it was unstable even in bios)
Is that a 2100MHz you are trying to OC to 2600MHz?
How are you cooling the RAM?

If you could OC 2100MHz RAM to 3000MHz, just by changing timings and voltage... then almost no one will buy higher speed RAM

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I highly doubt a 4GB 2133MHz, single-rank module will do 3000MHz at 1.4V, regardless of timings. I would've thought 2666MHz could be achieved though, especially at such loose timings.

Are you attempting to post with only this module installed? Or multiple of the same? Or mismatched?

All else failing, try booting with CL22 - the loosest available on a 1x4GB DDR4 DIMM.

Is that a 2100MHz you are trying to OC to 2600MHz?
How are you cooling the RAM?

If you could OC 2100MHz RAM to 3000MHz, just by changing timings and voltage... then no one will buy higher speed RAM

With appropriate timings and voltage, that Samsung DIMM should be capable of 2400-2666MHz...... Not that the timings/voltage tradeoff is likely to be beneficial in terms of performance, but it should be able to do it. 3000MHz is likely a couple of steps too far for stability, regardless.

Technologify

Honorable
Jul 3, 2016
I highly doubt a 4GB 2133MHz, single-rank module will do 3000MHz at 1.4V, regardless of timings. I would've thought 2666MHz could be achieved though, especially at such loose timings.

Are you attempting to post with only this module installed? Or multiple of the same? Or mismatched?

All else failing, try booting with CL22 - the loosest available on a 1x4GB DDR4 DIMM.

With appropriate timings and voltage, that Samsung DIMM should be capable of 2400-2666MHz...... Not that the timings/voltage tradeoff is likely to be beneficial in terms of performance, but it should be able to do it. 3000MHz is likely a couple of steps too far for stability, regardless.
2 of the same modules in the asus x99 deluxe . I try 22-22-22-46 timings now at 1.4V it doesn't post at all 2600mhz

I try default timings and 1.2 voltage and it posts at 2400mhz just like that no problem

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Ultimately, there's a reason (some) modules are sold as what they are. If a kit could've been (easily) clocked to 2666MHz, it would've been so, and sold for a slightly higher price vs. 2133MHz.

Samsung chips in general are pretty good at bumping clocks without having to go crazy loose on timings, but there's no guarantee. Especially when those DIMMs are some of the cheapest 1x4GB DIMMs out there.

Try with only one, and see if you have any more success. Not a great solution but, as far as I can tell, those weren't sold in 2x4GB kits, they were strictly 1x4 - so may just not be 'playing nice' with each other.

Technologify

Honorable
Jul 3, 2016
Ultimately, there's a reason (some) modules are sold as what they are. If a kit could've been (easily) clocked to 2666MHz, it would've been so, and sold for a slightly higher price vs. 2133MHz.

Samsung chips in general are pretty good at bumping clocks without having to go crazy loose on timings, but there's no guarantee. Especially when those DIMMs are some of the cheapest 1x4GB DIMMs out there.

Try with only one, and see if you have any more success. Not a great solution but, as far as I can tell, those weren't sold in 2x4GB kits, they were strictly 1x4 - so may just not be 'playing nice' with each other.
I tried 1 each stick with same timings and voltage at 2600mhz it doesn't post at all. and those 2 sticks were pulled from hp desktops they are identical

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I tried 1 each stick with same timings and voltage at 2600mhz it doesn't post at all. and those 2 sticks were pulled from hp desktops they are identical

Then chances are, 2400MHz is all it's going to do without going extra crazy on voltage.

They are not identical... even two DIMMs sold as a kit are not identical. They're only guaranteed to be able to do what they're advertised for.

There's slight variations DIMM to DIMM (in terms of timings/voltage tolerances), they're just sold at their consistent tolerances - which are what they're advertised for.

As soon as you start overclocking, all bets are off.

Technologify

Honorable
Jul 3, 2016
Then chances are, 2400MHz is all it's going to do without going extra crazy on voltage.

They are not identical... even two DIMMs sold as a kit are not identical. They're only guaranteed to be able to do what they're advertised for.

There's slight variations DIMM to DIMM (in terms of timings/voltage tolerances), they're just sold at their consistent tolerances - which are what they're advertised for.

As soon as you start overclocking, all bets are off.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

To a point, they will.

I'm not saying it is the fact they're not 100% identical that's causing the issue.... it's very unlikely to be so - I'm merely pointing out that, if you want to find the limit of a given DIMM, you have to treat it in isolation, otherwise the lesser of the two (in terms of what it needs for voltage/timings) always has the potential to hold the 'better' of the two back.

In this case, it doesn't seem like either of those DIMMs is capable of >2400MHz anyway, so it's a moot point.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.