[SOLVED] Samsung DDR4 module part numbers?

Dec 11, 2020
Trying to populate HP Z440 workstations with more RAM. Samsung DDR4 registered modules, M393A2G40DB0-CPB are what's in these units now, part numbers on them are shown in Samsung's own documentation. There are lots of Samsung modules out there, but the vast majority have lsightly different part numbers on their labels. There is no documentation I can find that tells what the extra characters at the end of these part numbers might signify.

M393A2G40DB0-CPB (what we have now, 16Mb Registered SDRAM, came with machines)

What are these others? Can you mix and match these "variants" in a single machine's RAM banks?

M393A2G40DB0-CPB0Q
M393A2G40DB0-CPB2Q
M393A2G40DB0-CPB3Q
M393A2G40DB0-CPB0

TIA for your help!

Solution
..."DDR4 SDRAM Components", and have different "Organization" and a spec for "#pins-package" shown as 78 Ball - FBGA.
The ones I showed in my query are listed under a separate heading, "DDR4 SDRAM Registered Modules."
The only thing I can think of is that they're a different rank. This will only affect certain things as ecc registered modules play well together mixed and matched in almost any form (as long as it works with the motherboard banking scheme).
SAMSUNG M393A2G40DB0-CPB is also know by Samsung as K4A4G045WD-BCPB

K -> Samsung Memory
4 -> DDR4 ram
A -> DRAM Type DDR4 SDRAM (1.2V VDD)
4 G-> Density 4GB
04 -> Bit Organization x4
5 -> number of internal banks 16 banks
W -> interface (VDD, VDDQ) POD (1.2V, 1.2V)
D -> Revision 5th Gen.
-
B -> Package Type FBGA (Halogen-free & lead-free, Flip Chip)
C -> Temp & Power Commercial Temp (0c ~ 85c) & Normal Power
PB -> Speed DDR4-2133 (1066MHz @ CL=15, tRCD=15, tRP=15)

M393A2G40DB0-CPB and M393A2G40DB0-CPB0,2,3 come back as the same K4A4G045WD-BCPB on Samsungs webpage, on the other hand it did not return anything on any of the 0Q, 2Q, 3Q.

Doing a little digging it looks like any of them with a Q at the end were made for Dell computers, whether they work in other systems i dont know. I could only guess but i would say they should.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamirD
Mixing and matching does not always work properly.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

Consider replacing what you have with a single kit.
Go to a ram web site and access their ram configurator.
Enter the make/model of your pc or motherboard to get a list of supported upgrades.

You will know that the upgraded capacity will work.
Keep the old ram as a spare, or if the specs are the same try installing it. If successful, you get even more capacity.

Dec 11, 2020
SAMSUNG M393A2G40DB0-CPB is also know by Samsung as K4A4G045WD-BCPB

K -> Samsung Memory
4 -> DDR4 ram
A -> DRAM Type DDR4 SDRAM (1.2V VDD)
4 G-> Density 4GB
04 -> Bit Organization x4
5 -> number of internal banks 16 banks
W -> interface (VDD, VDDQ) POD (1.2V, 1.2V)
D -> Revision 5th Gen.
-
B -> Package Type FBGA (Halogen-free & lead-free, Flip Chip)
C -> Temp & Power Commercial Temp (0c ~ 85c) & Normal Power
PB -> Speed DDR4-2133 (1066MHz @ CL=15, tRCD=15, tRP=15)

M393A2G40DB0-CPB and M393A2G40DB0-CPB0,2,3 come back as the same K4A4G045WD-BCPB on Samsungs webpage, on the other hand it did not return anything on any of the 0Q, 2Q, 3Q.

Doing a little digging it looks like any of them with a Q at the end were made for Dell computers, whether they work in other systems i dont know. I could only guess but i would say they should.
I just don't know, either. I am looking at the Samsung spec sheet, and the modules with K4 as the first two digits are listed under a separate heading, "DDR4 SDRAM Components", and have different "Organization" and a spec for "#pins-package" shown as 78 Ball - FBGA.
The ones I showed in my query are listed under a separate heading, "DDR4 SDRAM Registered Modules."

Reactions: SamirD
Dec 11, 2020
Mixing and matching does not always work properly.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

Consider replacing what you have with a single kit.
Go to a ram web site and access their ram configurator.
Enter the make/model of your pc or motherboard to get a list of supported upgrades.

You will know that the upgraded capacity will work.
Keep the old ram as a spare, or if the specs are the same try installing it. If successful, you get even more capacity.
Well, having configured a lot of systems in my day, I find that as long as the RAM modules various specs are EXACTLY the same, all the same brand, they all work. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never tried to upgrade an HP workstation with more RAM and NOT have it work correctly. My plan was just what you mentioned: Put in 64GB of new RAM in each machine ,all with the same Samsung "variety" at the end of the P/N. I am pretty sure that will work. Then I can "backfill" with the old 8GB modules if I can. I'm just curious as to what these other P/Ns mean, as there is no mention of them anywhere that I can find.

..."DDR4 SDRAM Components", and have different "Organization" and a spec for "#pins-package" shown as 78 Ball - FBGA.
The only thing I can think of is that they're a different rank. This will only affect certain things as ecc registered modules play well together mixed and matched in almost any form (as long as it works with the motherboard banking scheme).

Solution

TRENDING THREADS