Samsung Develops 30nm-class DDR4 DRAM Module

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]archange[/nom]I'm puzzled: why not forgo DDR4 completely, just like the GPU makers did and skip right to DDR5 instead?[/citation]

Actually they really didn't. Well not all of them. ATI had a GDDR4 series, the HD2900 series. It was using a 512bit ring bus to achieve the same memory bandwidth as GDDR5.

But since GDDR5 can get the same using a 256bit interface, it greatly lowers power consumption and cost of the card. That's why we didn't see GDDR4 as much.

[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]No, intel will wait a few generations before it starts using new memory.[/citation]

Actually I remember Intel saying that they will be moving to DDR4 by 2012 which means that Haswell (Ivy Bridge successor) is probably going to use it.

Of course DDR4 will be expensive to start much like DDR/DDR2/DDR3 but I bet that DDR4 prices will fall even faster than DDR3 which fell to near DDR2 prices withing a year.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]The speed worries me. Shouldn't it be at 3200?[/citation]
[citation][nom]The article you're commenting on[/nom]
By employing new circuit architecture, Samsung's DDR4 will be able to run from 1.6 up to 3.2 Gbps.[/citation]

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]It took long enough. I remember an article saying it should only be 2-3 years between RAM updates, and that DDR3 was late. This is...what? 3 years late?But yea, I still have my DDR2 1150 cards, and they do just fine. I'll have them another year or longer.[/citation]

That is GDDR5 - Basically some name given by ATI/AMD and not actual DDR5 CPU memory.

mirako347

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
I think technology is going too fast these days. I don't think an average consumer would use over Athlon II x4 645. Now they have the re-branded Athlon II x4 650 --->> Phenom II x4 840 w/out L3 @3.2GHz

DDR4? My computer doesn't even have DDR3? Well my laptop does. But my desktop is at its best DDR2-800MHz. DDR4 and Intel x68 is too fast and too furious.

Status
Not open for further replies.