Samsung Escalating Plans for Flexible AMOLED Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
This qualifies as innovation but still pales compared to pitch to zoom and swipe to unlock. Not to mention rounding corners and calling high resolution displays "retina".

guru_urug

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Apple will be kicking itself, losing out on Samsung's display technologies. Samsung will be innovating with flexible displays while apple is left coming up with next "revolutionary" size.
Maybe the Galaxy s5 will be a flexible device. But honestly I dont know how practical this will be, it all depends on their implementation. Well, atleast they are trying something different and if they are putting their weight behind it so much, it must be something good. Kudos Samsung.

jankeke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
There won't be flexible devices anytime soon. We still can't make flexible chips, batteries, etc ...
But they can be used in more creative ways, outside the world of phones and tablets.

In the meantime, they will greatly improve the resilience of screens. No more broken screen from a mere drop.

G

I think one of the potential application of flexible display is to allow us to fold a big display, let's say 15" display into a much smaller volume and so that we can easily carry a big screen device around, and unfold it on table when needed. We might have to separate the CPU and GPU from the display and send the video data wirelessly to the display though as it should be difficult to fold other electronic components.

unimatrixalpha

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Samsung also has the luxury of having Transparent LCD as working prototype displays. These will be great for use by advertisers and pretty nifty even for home use when you can have it as a window to the outside of the home but can then use it to act a blinds, curtains, display nature scenes/weather info, etc...

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]jankeke[/nom]There won't be flexible devices anytime soon. We still can't make flexible chips, batteries, etc ...[/citation]

False.
Carbon nanotubes along with methods of production/integration were patented back in 1992.
Same thing with synthetic diamonds in 1996.
We already knew back then about flexible displays and paper thin computers from these 2 materials alone.

Technologically and resource wise, it was possible to accomplish with ludicrous technological efficiency by the year 2000 at the latest.
Is it 'cheap' to do however?
Nope.
Commercial companies are looking for 'cost efficient' (read 'cheap') ways to bring technology to the market and PROFIT from it in the long run.
Why rush if you can milk outdated materials, technology and means of production?

That however has NOTHING to do with our technological ability to do something in a sustainable and efficient capacity.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]I see flexible tablets in the future.[/citation]

Don't let Apple see that! Probably filing a patent for it at this very moment.

jankeke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
[citation][nom]deksman[/nom]False.Carbon nanotubes along with methods of production/integration were patented back in 1992.Same thing with synthetic diamonds in 1996.We already knew back then about flexible displays and paper thin computers from these 2 materials alone..[/citation]

I don't know if you can make flexible chips, batteries, memory, etc ... out of these materials but you still won't see a flexible phone or tablet anytime soon.

[citation][nom]deksman[/nom]Commercial companies are looking for 'cost efficient' (read 'cheap') ways to bring technology to the market and PROFIT from it in the long run.Why rush if you can milk outdated materials, technology and means of production?That however has NOTHING to do with our technological ability to do something in a sustainable and efficient capacity.[/citation]

That is very true of course.

[citation][nom]mhawk13[/nom]Hello augmented-reality windshields![/citation]

Those screens are not transparent. But Samsung has the technology to make transparent screens. I heard they could make a screen with multiple transparent screens overlaping each other to give a depth effect.

Are they capable of making flexible transparent screen ? No but I am pretty sure they are working on it.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]jankeke[/nom]I don't know if you can make flexible chips, batteries, memory, etc ... out of these materials but you still won't see a flexible phone or tablet anytime soon.
[/citation]

Oh its possible. These kinds of applications (not to mention others) were known to us for some time now.
They can even be done from the inefficient materials we use today - but its a cost prohibitive process, and companies are in this to MAKE profits.
We have ample supply of resources (and the technology/means) to do it, but 'profit margins' don't allow fast adoption of these technologies due to the above mentioned reasons.

By comparison, commercial companies like Intel have already developed technology they will release in 10 to 15 years and could have created insanely small and powerful electronic hardware in the year 2000 using existing materials.
Now imagine what could have been done if we used superior synthetic materials that can be produced in abundance and we used them to create the BEST of what is possible from a technological point of view (in line with our latest scientific knowledge) and efficiency.
Simply speaking, commercial technology is about 60 to 100 years (if not more) behind of our scientific knowledge (that can be applied in practice, in abundance, efficiently and in a sustainable manner).

Capitalism on the other hand simply doesn't work like that.
This is why I CRINGE when I hear people say that new products coming out every 12 to 24 months are 'innovative'.
They are anything but.

G

"I don't know if you can make flexible chips, batteries, memory, etc ... out of these materials but you still won't see a flexible phone or tablet anytime soon."

Who says the whole thing needs to be flexible? Pack all the solid bits into a handle and let the screen be flexible.

Status
Not open for further replies.