Samsung EVO 860 not showing up.

Abe_FX35

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016
Hello everyone,

I have had a very long and frustrating day and now im turning to the forums for some help, if i miss any crucial information please let me know. in a nutshell i am formatting my old win 7 pc which had a brand new samsung EVO860 SSD in it, it has some very important files needed for my Plex library. I copied the backup files for plex to it, and then formatted my pc and installed windows 10. I have the drive now connected to same machine, just win 10 instead of win 7. Windows 10 does not show it at all, not in explorer, not in disk management and not even in Minitools partition wizard. All i need is the SSD to be accessible so i can cut my files i need from it and move them to where they belong. I have no idea where to go from here, could it be a MBR/GPT issue ? i have no clue, please help and thank you.

(drive was first initialized on win 7 machine with no problems at all)

My system:
i7 2600k
mobo: Asus P8Z68-V GEN3
samsung evo 860 SSD
x5 WD RED NAS drives
windows 10

Solution
another bizarre thing happened, i restarted to go into BIOS, during this time windows 10 did an update, it shows up in BIOS, i load windows normally thinking i still have some troubleshooting, i go back into disk management AND THE DRIVE IS SHOWING UP ! what the heck.

Abe_FX35

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016

win 10 is installed on a totally different SSD, this new SSD is stand alone, with only the files i need on it for my plex. The OS SSD was the win 7 one, and now is totally freshly installed with windows 10, its a separate drive. ( i have not installed any motherboard drivers yet, everything seems to be working ok other than this) Thank you for your fast reply.

Abe_FX35

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016

The same cables that were used when it worked on win 7 were used, even so, i already did try new power and sata cables, still the same thing, as if its a ghost.

Abe_FX35

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016
crazy update, i just connected this "ghost drive" to my secondary PC, plugged it up, and BOOM the drives shows up with the files on it !!! However still does not fix my issue needing these files/ drive to work on my original PC for this post. Motherboard drivers maybe ?

Abe_FX35

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016

yes i have tried different sata cables, which are existing that are connected to different sata ports. i will summarize what i did in steps.

1) same pc, win 7, installed NEW ssd, initialized it and put my important files on.
2) shut down pc, disconnected NEW ssd
3) installed fresh windows 10
4) shutdown, connected NEW ssd
5) booted up machine, and ghost drive happens.

6) decided to try NEW ssd on 2nd different PC, worked fine (also windows 10) drive shows up and files.
7) grabbed a random ssd i have in old machine that works, connected it to original PC (win10) still same thing, ghost drive even with a different SSD.

So the problem i believe is something to do with this motherboard/win 10 compatibility, there is not much driver support for win 10, but from my research it should work fine, minus small glitches like hibernation not working which i dont care about. Also many users on forums have said windows 8.1 drivers work for this mobo on windows 10, however i downloaded some and they wont even install.

Abe_FX35

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016

I have not touched the BIOS prior to installing windows 10 installation. i dont even know how to check what version if i have or if its worth uprading, BIOS updates can be scary.

Abe_FX35

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016

i guess i can give that a try, im not sure how to navigate through the BIOS in depth but i will give it a shot. This is alot of work and money spent for a headache, i just wanna game LMAO

Abe_FX35

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016

UPDATE***

The drive IS detected in the BIOS. :ouch:

Abe_FX35

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016
another bizarre thing happened, i restarted to go into BIOS, during this time windows 10 did an update, it shows up in BIOS, i load windows normally thinking i still have some troubleshooting, i go back into disk management AND THE DRIVE IS SHOWING UP ! what the heck.

Solution

Abe_FX35

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016

i guess so ! i hope this is not just a random lucky glitch and it actually works, im going to connected another ssd and see if it detects it within windows. Will keep you posted, regardless thank you for help and patience.

Abe_FX35

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016

never seen anything like it, im 33 years and have had a pc since i was 15. crazyness. thanks.

Feb 16, 2019
I'm actually having the same issue. I bought an M.2 and did a fresh install of windows 10 on it while all other drives were disconnected. Restarted with all drives plugged in and the second SSD i bought (Samsung 860 EVO) shows up in BIOS, in the "properties of the file explorer", but doesn't show up as an available drive for storage. The only issue I found was when I downloaded Samsung Magician and it days "no volume found". Can you help me... I planned on using this for my PLEX server. Currently there is no files stored on it, it is brand new. I have also tried ever SATA port as well as 3 SATA cables. Could I have gotten a faulty SSD?

Reactions: Denis Labrecque
Mar 17, 2022
I had a similar issue to this. I was able to see my 860 evo in device manager and bios, but I was not able to see it in disk management, samsung magician, anything that would allow me to format it. It looks like Windows automatically designated it as a 'storage space'. After removing the drive from the storage space I was able to format it and use it. You can find storage spaces by typing in 'manage storage spaces'. It looks like this happens when you have 3 drives. I would guess this is your 3rd drive.