Samsung EVO 860 vs ADATA SU800 - advice please

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
Hi folks,

I'm looking to get a 500GB SSD and I'm choosing between Samsung EVO 860 vs ADATA SU800.

On paper (or screen!) the ADATA looks better...

ADATA SU800
--------------------
Storage: 512 GB
Read speed: 560 MB/s (up to)
Write speed: 520 MB/s (up to)
TBW: 400 TB
MTBF: 2M hours
Warranty: 3 years
Other: SLC caching, LDPC ECC Engine, RAID Engine, DEVSLP (device sleep/power mode)

Samsung EVO 860
--------------------------
Storage: 500 GB
Read speed: 550 MB/s (up to)
Write speed: 520 MB/s (up to)
TBW: 300 TB
MTBF: 1.5M hours
Warranty: 5 years
Other: AES 256-bit Full Disk Encryption, Intelligent TurboWrite Technology, 'Queued trim' (for enhanced Linux compatibility??),

What do you think is the best option? I know that Samsung is usually much more popular but when I look at the specs above I don't know why. (The Samsung SSD is currently cheaper on Amazon).

Any advice is much appreciated!
D

Solution
The only way I'd choose the ADATA over the Samsung is if it were 1/2 the price for the same size.
And then, only as a secondary drive.

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

Would the Samsung be just as reliable considering the ADATA has much better TBW and MTBF? Thanks!

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks jimmysmitty
Yes sounds right with the sequential data reads/writes.
So you would still choose the Samsung even with the specs above (especially product life/TBW/MTBF) being better on the ADATA?

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks USAFRet!
Actually the Samsung EVO 860 is 15% cheaper (on sale right now!), so I'll go with that :)

I'm also looking to get a 256GB SSD to use externally (for backup etc) and was wondering what you might recommend for that? Samsung again? Otherwise, Kingston and Crucial are a bit cheaper...

USAFRet

Titan

For backups, is 250GB enough?
A 1-2TB spinning drive might suit better.

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks jimmysmitty

Samsung it is then!

I want to get into video editing and was wondering what storage setup to go with? Perhaps 1 SSD internal and 1 SDD external (for backup etc)? Wonder what minimum size storage to have?

Also, how much can you run from an external hard drive (connected via a USB 3.0 adapter)? Would an OS run slowly from that and could you do video editing smoothly?

USAFRet

Titan

internal external...is this a desktop or a laptop?
And you can't run the OS from an external.

Well, you kind of can, but you really really really don't want to go down that road.

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

It's an ASUS laptop (with a 256GB SSD already running).
I'd like to get into video editing (ideally being able to hop between Windows 10 and Linux when I want to) and of course be able to back up my videos. So I'm wondering what storage setup to go with... Any advice much appreciated!

This.

Running an OS from a USB is fine if its Linux or a lite/mini version of Windows for diagnostic uses, like in Hirens BootCD, however running a full OS will not be a happy experience.

I would probably at least match if not double the external for backup. Thing is you might start moving some files off the internal SSD to the backup and want extra space.

USAFRet can also suggest a NAS solution, Network Attached Storage, which might be a better idea as you can setup multiple drives in since enclosure. Might be more cost efficient per GB.

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks jimmysmitty

At the moment I'm thinking about getting a 500GB Samsung EVO SSD (internal) and a WD (Elements) 2TB HDD for external backup... (also, I already have 256GB internal SSD). Does that sound like a good setup?

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

I think it can support 2 SSDs (not 100% sure). It's an ASUS X550JX laptop. I was planning on putting in the second SSD where the empty DVD drive is located (using a HDD/SSD caddy like this).

How can I check 100% that my laptop can have a second SSD?

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

Also, what do you think of having an SSHD as an option for backup (instead of an HDD)? Such as the Firecuda by Seagate? Thanks

USAFRet

Titan

The concept of the SSHD is wasted in that scenario.
The write speed of the SSHD is the same as a regular HDD.

Agreed.

SSHDs are fine for people who want a single drive with larger than and still cheaper than SSD but better performance than normal HDDs.