Question Samsung EVO 870 keeps disappearing until the next complete power cycle ?

Aug 25, 2024
Trying to figure out why one of my internal 4TB 870 EVOs just disappears in Windows 11 after 3-4 days and only comes back after a complete power cycle, just rebooting doesn't do anything. It worked fine for a couple of months before starting this behaviour while the other drive of same make and model still works fine.

I've switched around the SATA cables between different drives in my PC as well trying different power cables and it still behaves the same. At one point I reinstalled my PC without anything behaving differently. What confuses me even more is that if I move it to my old Windows 10 PC it seems to works fine, so far it's been running for almost 2 weeks straight without disappearing on that rig.

CrystalDisk and Samsung Magician says everything is fine and there is no firmware upgrade available so I'm at a bit of a loss for what I can try before trying to RMA it. For info, the drive is less than a year old at this point, it started acting up after 4 months of use.

Any tips?

Did you do a complete full scan of the SSD with Magician?

can anything be seen in the windows event log? like DISK error or similar?

RMA it, might be a an electronic part overheating or getting faulty. No sensor or software will get you information about something like that in the power section.

eventually:

Last edited: