Samsung Finds New Chip Partner In MediaTek

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Don't do it Samsung! Mediatek is not good for the smartphone ecosystem; they walk all over the open source licenses and refuse to release source code which prevents independent developers from being able to make smartphone OS ports for their hardware. This is very bad because the lack of foreseeable long term OS upgrades KILLS the value of the smartphone in the eyes of many consumers!

Stick with Qualcomm until 2016 when AMD starts releasing their own ARM chips for smartphones. Stay away from Mediatek, Rockhip, Amlogic and Allwinner!

wjs19

Reputable
Mar 6, 2015
Took me like 5 seconds on Google to find out that Mediatek does release source code, though they didn't previously so you're operating on old information

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Took me like 5 seconds on Google to find out that Mediatek does release source code, though they didn't previously so you're operating on old information
Took me like 5 seconds on Google to find out that Mediatek has only ever released source code for the "Android One" series of devices and that because they did this in a partnership with Google themselves they were most likely forced into doing so.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Don't do it Samsung! Mediatek is not good for the smartphone ecosystem

Stick with Qualcomm until 2016 when AMD starts releasing their own ARM chips for smartphones. Stay away from Mediatek, Rockhip, Amlogic and Allwinner!
Agreed. The Chinese chip designers are poison for the market too, in the long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.