Samsung Galaxy Book 2 Hands-On: A Shot in the Arm (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
That piece of junk can't be called an alternative. Haven you seen how cra*ppy ARM performance is in 32bit emulation mode?

Even on native app arm chips can barely compete with the lowest end of the airmont 3 years old Atom.

g-unit1111

Titan

Maybe the non-Intel i5/i7 Surface models, sure. Although I don't even know if Microsoft makes any of those anymore. Even the Surface Go has a more powerful CPU than an ARM. I definitely would not compare this thing to an actual Intel i5/i7 Surface though.

g-unit1111

Titan

If you're willing to deal with the Chrome OS, then yes. But for those of us that need Windows applications I'd stick with the Surface.

hannibal

Distinguished
This is fine if you use only Win10s mode and only use MS store apps that are native to arm... You you move to real Windows10 and use real windows programs then Surface go is much faster than this. This is just fine if you use internet for example Chrome and you web apps like O365 or Google apps... This very fine device... but in those situations Chromebook is also fine device.
It all depends on what you want to do with your machine. But running windows programs in emulator mode is not for this!

g-unit1111

Titan

This device along with the Surface Go allow you to switch to full Windows. It might not be as practical as having something native like the i5/i7 Surface models but it's definitely better than having one that's limited to the app store.

But as far as Chromebooks go, they may be decent devices but again they are limited by the Chrome OS.

Hell it looks to be a clone. Maybe Microsoft should pull an Apple and sue for the design. I mean it looks spot on with most Surface models.

Still it is interesting to me to see how much the Surface has inspired design wise. The entire Surface line is pretty killer and took a ton of the spotlight from Apple who used to be the design kings.

g-unit1111

Titan

It's funny I thought that when I first saw it is that Samsung basically copied all the design aspects of the Surface but changed a few things about it so they didn't outright get accused.

Yeah I love my Surface, it's replaced all the tablets I used to use. Right now it's hard to consider anything other than a Surface or iPad for tablets.

s1mon7

Reputable
Oct 3, 2018
This is a very disappointing product, considering it's running a weak Snapdragon ARM platform, comes with 4GB of ram, running Windows S.. and for $999?! That's insane.

I can't imagine why would anyone buy this over anything else in this price range.

g-unit1111

Titan

Wow, really? $999 for that when I can get a previous gen Surface for $799 and it has a better screen and full Windows? No thanks.

Oct 19, 2018
I'd be interested to hear about the performance after the switch, with Office 2019 and Adobe Acrobat Reader. If there is no noticeable lag when dealing with larger documents, then this machine might be considered competitive.

gunbust3r

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
You can get 8GB ram and 256GB+ SSD from anyone else for $1000 or this plus all the headaches of ARM compatibility issues and low performance. But hey it can download your email in standby... Or you can wait 6 seconds after powering up a real device.

g-unit1111

Titan

Considerable, there's plenty of better devices out there and I'd far rather have an i5 or i7 than an ARM any day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.