Samsung Galaxy S4 to Have 'Unbreakable' AMOLED Screen?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chriscarcus

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Is the motherboard flexible? I don't see how a flexible display helps when the rest of the device is rigid. Am I missing something?

G

Bendable screen that allows the device to wrap around your wrist to act as a watch would be cool. Innovation.

faust_67

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
[citation][nom]chriscarcus[/nom]Is the motherboard flexible? I don't see how a flexible display helps when the rest of the device is rigid. Am I missing something?[/citation]
To my knowledge, motherboards are not flexible (at least not yet, I would not be surprised if there are not already some prototypes in labs), but one thing that can be done is to pack all components in a small round cartridge and have the screen rolled around that cartridge and have a screen as wide as possible. I saw that kind of device idea in a (bad) sci-fi movie (I think it was Red Planet but I am not sure). I always thought it was a neat idea and I imagine we are coming closer and closer to such solutions. Designers are probably already working on "fake" prototypes to imagine what could be done with these new technologies. Who knows what will come out in one year, five years, ten years? My original point was that the technology field is moving fast and that a predominant company like Apple could be wiped out in no time if some new revolutionary product comes out and change the market (as the iPhone did).

pxl9190

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
so we are going to have Full HD flexible display on a 5" mobile device, while our 30" monitor are still stuck at 2560x1600? When are we going to get retina class desktop monitors - Quad HD (3840x2160) 120fps on a 30" ?

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]steve carell[/nom]my neighbor's sister makes $61/hr on the internet. She has been fired from work for 8 months but last month her payment was $15939 just working on the internet for a few hours. Read more on this site,,, http://ask22.cℴm[/citation]
Your neighbor's sister is a twat and I'm tired of seeing your comments about her.

[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]...and I just got an SIII in September. Samsung, you're going to make me want to (foolishly) pay full price for this S4 and stand in line on launch day if you keep up with stuff like this.[/citation]
Temptation is great; however, that's why we're different from some sheeple out there, we take things with a grain of salt and weigh in all the pros/cons before getting something, as opposed to just getting in line and buying whatever the "Lord" is telling us to buy.

rdc85

Honorable
I'm had been wondering quite some time...

As far as i know OLED had limited lifetime..

it will lose it's blue (or green, can't remember) light after some times...

are they improved in that?

or they just expecting we will always change phone after 1-2 years....

MichaelSP

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
Sounds awesome! It'd be great if the devices like the note 2 could 'fold' up smaller. If developed, maybe a tablet could be folded to a compact mode for phone calls and a smaller mode again for transport? Interesting. Only problem is, it will make currently awesome phones like the note 2 look bad again. :(

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]rdc85[/nom]I'm had been wondering quite some time...As far as i know OLED had limited lifetime.. it will lose it's blue (or green, can't remember) light after some times... are they improved in that?or they just expecting we will always change phone after 1-2 years....[/citation]
I have also heard about that, but I also heard it takes about 5 years to notice a difference. Would be great if someone wiser could point to a source on this! :)

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Ironslice[/nom]About time, we need something to break that god damn blender.[/citation]

Alas, I have a feeling it will still blend ;(

rdc85

Honorable
[citation][nom]Bloob[/nom]I have also heard about that, but I also heard it takes about 5 years to notice a difference. Would be great if someone wiser could point to a source on this![/citation]

I learn it when i'm doing some research panel technology for my new monitor buying guide...

I read it it only had 5000 hrs lifetime then it will start losing it's light..

and new tech only can extend it to around 8000~10,000 hrs.

this the reason OLED tv/monitor still not sell wide/openly (only for showcase or tech demo..)

even it had lot's of potential... (cheap, can be as thin as a paper, no bezel, vivid colour, etc...)

it will great if someone can give some reference..

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]JacekRing[/nom]Just wait, in like 3-4 days Apple will file a patent for an unbreakable, stretchable, shrinkable, waterproof, childproof, lightning proof display.[/citation]
And it will be very susceptible to malfunctioning in presence of dust and/or CO2 ;)

redeye

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2005
game changer... YES... but what about the software?.

ah yes.. the clichè ... "make something foolproof, and only fools will use it"... " make something unbreakable, and people will only break it"

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
You could try three of these: http://us.aoc.com/monitor_displays/i2367fh :D

Depends on how sharp your eyes are and how far you plan to view your monitor from. Otherwise, you might just be overexerting your hardware for nothing. :) Check this out if you're interested (It's about DPI and if it matters.): http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2010/06/10/resolving-the-iphone-resolution/ :)

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]faust_67[/nom]To my knowledge, motherboards are not flexible[/citation]
We are already half-way there with many modern devices making abundant use of ribbon-mounted ICs to save space on the main PCB and get chips closer to whatever they are managing. ICs and their support components themselves though are not likely to become flexible any time soon so putting ICs on ribbons is not going to help that much with flexible devices.

The communication devices in Earth: Final Conflict have roll-up displays and I think something like these could become available within the next five years. All the surface area of a 8" tablet crammed into something about the size of a 4" device when the screen is collapsed, albeit thicker to accommodate the roller.

xzendor

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Hopefully The Technology Is Now Approaching A Ready Time For The Desktop As Well.

For Years Now I've Read That OLED Technology Was Around The Corner For Computer Displays; Hope Now's The Time.

saurus

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Scientists have also developed Graphene the thinnest chemical known at present which is transparent and stronger than steel or diamonds expect to see this being coated on things in the not too distant future?

xzendor

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
@saurus, But Graphene Is Carbon Atoms Arranged In A Hexagonal Pattern So Wouldn't It Be As Strong As Diamond Or Is The Structure That Makes It Stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.