Samsung Galaxy S7 And S7 Edge Preview

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MobileEditor

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
question... when the journalist says:
"It will be interesting to see if this new camera can actually outperform the Galaxy S6, which currently has the best smartphone camera we’ve tested" , is it because he is not considering that the Lumia 950 is not a smartphone due to the Windows 10 or because he doesn't know the exists?

We are currently looking at the Lumia 950, but we have not evaluated the camera yet.

- Matt Humrick, Mobile Editor, Tom's Hardware

I have a 32GB Note 6 and I sorely miss the 88+GB available storage of my dead Droid Razr (32GB internal + 64GB SDXC card). Taking HD video and downloading digital copies of movies from a retail box purchased Blu-Ray movie add up quick. I like to use my smart phones as portable media devices to plug into HDTVs.

The only reason I have the Note 5 is because I got it for free from a friend who works in IT and Samsung sent him one for review. I would never have purchased it. Locking down memory expansion and lack of battery removal is so Apple. Otherwise I'm relatively happy with it for what it is, and the 1440p AMOLED display is just gorgeous.

With that said, I will never buy a smart phone without a MicroSD external storage upgrade option if I can help it.

Agreed but the S6 and S7 both support Qi and PMA charging (the two major standards) so them adding a USB Type-C would have made sense in that case. Even so the S6s best feature is its fast charging which with the cable that is provided is nice, I can go from 15% to full in abut an hour vs 3-4 hours for most other phones.

If you have the Note 5 it has a Micro SD slot. It is in the same spot as the SIM card:

http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/article/72760-image/Dual-SIM-Samsung-Galaxy-Note5-appears-in-photos-no-microSD-card-slot-in-sight.jpg

Well I'm clearly an idiot. I just assumed it did not and didn't even bother researching further thinking the S6 being essentially the same core phone doesn't have one. I've only had it a couple of weeks.

gregzeng

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
One typos in the original post. My Samsung Galaxy s6 has a heart rate sensor, like the three other units in the comparison table.

All my case-accessories might be trouble for the two new models. A quick summary just a mm smaller in length and breadth, but fatter in thickness.

gregzeng

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
"Upgrading" to Samsung Galaxy smartphones means losing the FM radio that we enjoyed on other brands.
Perhaps Korea has rubbish FM radio? I is the best battery saving way that we in Australia can receive news events and music.

benmoran

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016
I transfer files on my mobile from time to time whenever I'm choosing to be lazy on bring a portable hard drive with me. lol The USB 2 makes things a bit easier and just have to make use of the micro USB cords that I have lying around rather than having to use a dedicated cord just for the phone.

Anyhow. Overall, the Galaxy S7 is a great phone. Hoping to try them out when they're in display in our region. But I have to say, the removable battery would be a great thing to have in case you really have to turn off the phone the hard way.

https://versus.com/en/samsung-galaxy-s7-vs-samsung-galaxy-s7-edge

g-unit1111

Titan

I wonder why more phone manufacturers don't use that design for their SIM card / SD card placement? Are they afraid people would lose their SIM cards or is it cost effective, or just laziness? :??:

And that's only on international dual SIM models and not the US variant.

Funny you just mentioned that. I just checked it out a few hours ago and was just about to post an update as a US Note 5 owner. It's for the SIM card, not a Micro SD card. Considering I got this 32GB phone for free, I won't complain.

But again I'd have immediately stricken that limitation off my list of phone options as good as it is. I might trade it in for an S7 though after reviews are out.

averagejoe_1984

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
I am astonished by Samsung lately. They are dropping the features I care about and adding ones I couldn't care less about. Was the S6 there just to make us crave the S7? Wow

The S5 had a 2.4ghz quad core, they went to an 8 core in the S6 and now they're going back to just a quad core with a lower clock speed in the S7. Granted, it probably runs faster than the S5, but still, WTF?

The S5 had a microsd card slot, just like cheapo 40 dollar tablets from no-name maufacturers do. They took it away on the S6 and now we celebrate it coming back on the S7? Um, OK.

The S5 had a removable battery and the first thing I did with it was remove and replace it with a 7500mah battery that always lasts all day long no matter what I do. I do not consider it an upgrade to lose this option. The battery is the achilles heel of smart phones. Basic cell phones can easily go days on a full charge.

How the heck do you put a screen protector on an edge screen? Granted I haven't researched it, but it seems like it would either more easily peel off, if it wasn't glass, and if it was, how would it match the curve of the edge? Perhaps someone made a good product for this purpose, but it sounds far more difficult than a flat glass protector.

All of this makes me extremely happy I got an old S5 as soon as I heard the S6 lost the removable battery and the microsd card slot. I will probably keep it until there is another phone that at least matches the basic features that it has, with a better processor or screen.

I'm seeing far too much of this ambiguous product "improvement" these days. Heck my soundblaster x-fi is still better for positional audio than the new soundblaster z, so I still use it in my main rig and put the "upgrade" z in a secondary pc. Sure it sounds better for music, but I still want the best processed positional audio for games. It should have gotten better and not worse. So Samsung joins my list of companies that make my jaw fly open and exclaim WTF due to making me crave what they made years ago over what they are selling today.

Status
Not open for further replies.