Samsung Galaxy S8+ or Sony Xperia XZ Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlymouthJoseph

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014
Okay, because I'm slowly having enough with my sluggish and smashed Galaxy S5 (Which I've had since 2 weeks after launch, although I've swapped screens multiple times) I am going to be upgrading at the end of the year (Getting it for myself as a Christmas present) But I am unable to choose between the Sony Xperia XZ Premium and the Samsung Galaxy S8+. I love both these phones and have had a few hours with them through mates I have with them and I honestly cannot choose between them.

Benefits of XZ Premium: 4K HDR display, nice location of Finger Sensor, better cameras and 960FPS Slow-Motion recording

Benefits of S8+: Infinity display, heart-rate monitor, Iris scanner and larger battery.

In short, I want a phone that'll last me as long as my current S5 has lasted me, which is currently 3 years, 4 months, and because of this... I don't know which phone will last longer. So, please share your wisdom and help me decide.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i had similar problems when I upgraded from an S3 2 years ago, and ended up choosing the S5 in the store, after selecting to buy the Sony.. I changed my mind at last moment. Last time it was easier and I got an S7 but I hate having to decide between phones.

Thing that decided it that time was how much the phone lets you use a memory stick as the Samsung lets you use it for music and applications whereas the Sony didn't. This may not matter if they have 64gb inbuilt but the S5 only has 16gb and that doesn't leave much room for music files.

S8 has lots of features that android is only just giving to others, and some like smart stay that other phones don't have still. I can guess this as the S7 has most of them too, not the display but its not bad.

PlymouthJoseph

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014

When it comes to Samsung bloatware... I will be uninstalling and/or disabling most of it anyway. And I may land up rooting and installing a custom ROM in the long run.

PlymouthJoseph

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014

As for the S8+ and XZ Premium, both have expandable storage and I will be using a 64GB SD Card, with 6GB of music on it, and I will be putting as many apps onto it also. So, storage isn't much of an issue but I can tell you that both of the phones has 64GB of storage... Which is plenty for me, as all my pictures, videos and music will be going onto my SD card.

Colif

Win 11 Master
One unknown is battery life, I don't mean how long it lasts per day but how long before it dies and won't charge up. Both are sealed so its not an advantage either has. I am currently using my S5 (audio on S7 went odd) and its battery still works and had charge in it from last time i turned it on 3 months ago. Never replaced it.

who makes better batteries?

PlymouthJoseph

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014

I am not sure, but as long as the battery can last me an entire day without going flat is fine by me. And yeah, while removable batteries were nice, we now have battery banks which kinda do the same job.

Status
Not open for further replies.