Samsung: iPhone Wouldn't Exist Without Our Patents

Status
Not open for further replies.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
"iPhones" in their current form may not, but Jobs could have drawn an apple logo on a 4.3" mirror with a window marker and called it an iPhone.

People probably would still have bought it, too.

G

I honestly wish that patents were only accepted if they could be shown to be entirely unique from previous inventions in at least one way. Either in how they can be used (smartphones) or in a software technique or other related options. Further what would really help the patent wars is to restrict the fees lawyers are permitted to charge and how many lawyers are permitted per plaintiff/defendant in a case, to ensure that all have access to patent protection. No billion dollar firms hiring entire law firms to defend their patents, maximum 3 lawyers, forbidden from discussing the case anywhere in their firm, and with a mandatory requirement that they produce the exact documentation requested (if it exists) and only that documentation, no giant boxes of useless documents designed to make the job of the opponent 100 times harder. In other words, take much of the money out of the case, less lawsuits get filed.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
I love how biased people on tom's are. Every single article, bash on apple, love on sammy. I bet most people don't even bother reading before they do that too

echondo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Um it's the other way around. Apple didn't do anything until Samsung didn't do their homework then got sued up the ass and lost a billion. Samsung has no chance against Apple going head to head.[/citation]

Wait, what? One of the most ignorant posts I've ever seen! Hope you love your new iPhone 5s that has no new updates BUT, IT HAS A "S"! OMG!!1!11!!!

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Um it's the other way around. Apple didn't do anything until Samsung didn't do their homework then got sued up the ass and lost a billion. Samsung has no chance against Apple going head to head.[/citation]
Samsung didn't lost a billion yet. Like it's stated on the article, the U.S. International Trade Commission will review the decision of the court that favored Apple.

Actually going head to head, Apple will loose. Samsung can at least work without Apple patents. The same cannot be said about Apple, they need Samsung patents in order to operate.

tuffjuff

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]DUH! Apple said "we need your technology - Samsung to build a phone to OUR specs with your technology expertise and hardware components"[/citation]

The difference is Samsung is paid for the use of their patents. Apple isn't paid when Samsung releases a "Chromebook" for $250 that looks identical to the MacBook Air.

tuffjuff

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
[citation][nom]echondo[/nom]Wait, what? One of the most ignorant posts I've ever seen! Hope you love your new iPhone 5s that has no new updates BUT, IT HAS A "S"! OMG!!1!11!!![/citation]

My "not new" iPhone 5 is a hell of a lot nicer than the Galaxy S3 I tried out for a few weeks back in August. It doesn't freeze during/while ending calls, has an OS that doesn't feel laggy and bloated, and has a software ecosystem that is actually useful and full of high quality applications Android users beg for every time a new one comes out.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Do any of you Apple hating idiots realize you can't have an LTE phone without Apple and the patents they also contribute? If Apple released a statement that said the LTE GS3 couldn't exist without Apple technology they'd be 100% correct.

And do any of you understand what an SEP is? Samsung is OBLIGATED to let Apple use their standard essential patents at fair market prices. Unlike Samsung and Motorola, Apple doesn't abuse SEP's and seek injunctions based on them.

Samsung has squat for non-SEP patents related to mobile devices. This is why they're in trouble in Korea, The EU and the US for abusing SEP's - they don't have any "normal" patents to countersue with so they tried to use SEP's instead.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
A device that has accelerometers, has gravity sensing, and can be used like a bubble leveller especially if all its sides are orthogonal and flat like a box so it can be easily placed flat against flat surfaces to easily conform to the orientation of the surface that needs to be measured for gravity alignment. It doesn't take geniuses to figure that out. Furthermore, objects with edges and corners should have those edges rounded to lessen how sharp they are to prevent them cutting or stabbing or tearing other things they come into contact with and to prevent the object itself from having its sharp protrusions from being damaged due to being thin and therefore less robust. It doesn't take geniuses to figure that out. Furthermore if you have a device with a touchscreen then that means real buttons can simply be replaced by virtual buttons on the screen, which provides more flexibility since such buttons are much less permanent and can easily be modified. Therefore such devices can be very low in real buttons. It doesn't take geniuses to figure that out. Apple are being so arrogant, insulting, selfish, and annoying if they think they deserve to sue so much over these things and they are just going to make people disrespect and hate them more and try to support their rivals even more instead.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I REALLY hope Samsung files on every single patent Apple infringes and I hope Apple has to pay absurd amount of money in damages as a result. I'm sick of them suing everyone just to push them out of the market.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Explain how what I said is ignorant. Apple didn't do anything until Samsung infringed on its patents. Apple sued Samsung and won big. Um I own a BlackBerry you twit. Waiting for your explanation how what I said was wrong.[/citation]

You own a blackberry? Who's the real twit here?

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Wow! Something looks very fishy here:

Sooooo.... otacon72 says:

echondo reply to otacon72 thread saying this:
[citation][nom]echondo[/nom]Wait, what? One of the most ignorant posts I've ever seen! Hope you love your new iPhone 5s that has no new updates BUT, IT HAS A "S"! OMG!!1!11!!![/citation]

and who answers is tuffjuff:
[citation][nom]tuffjuff[/nom]My "not new" iPhone 5 is a hell of a lot nicer than the Galaxy S3 I tried out for a few weeks back in August. It doesn't freeze during/while ending calls, has an OS that doesn't feel laggy and bloated, and has a software ecosystem that is actually useful and full of high quality applications Android users beg for every time a new one comes out.[/citation]

I do recall other comments sections for news to otacon72 saying that he didn't like the S3 'cause it was sluggish, etc.
and later otacon72 answers back with this:
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Explain how what I said is ignorant. Apple didn't do anything until Samsung infringed on its patents. Apple sued Samsung and won big. Um I own a BlackBerry you twit. Waiting for your explanation how what I said was wrong.[/citation]

So it looks pretty obvious that "Otacon72" is "tuffjuff"!!
dang, come on otacon72, just because you are anti-android doesn't mean that you need to open another account just to keep up with the votes against you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS