Samsung: iPhone Wouldn't Exist Without Our Patents

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
the only users missing the news are "wemakeourfortune" and "willard" (the one that posts a link to validate his/her opinions) which I haven't seen the later around lately.
I personally think that the iPhone and iPad have good designs and nice UI, HOWEVER Apple's behaviour specially with the patents and "exclusivity" is ridiculous so I don't buy anything Apple.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
One way or another Apple will give in and settle this. Samsung is already pi$$ed off at Apple for playing this patent lawsuit game.

Hence the expression, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you."

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]Darkk[/nom]One way or another Apple will give in and settle this. Samsung is already pi$$ed off at Apple for playing this patent lawsuit game. Hence the expression, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you."[/citation]
Apple: nom nom nom nom nom... oh ***... nom nom nom nom nom anyway

liteup23

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Explain how what I said is ignorant. Apple didn't do anything until Samsung infringed on its patents. Apple sued Samsung and won big. Um I own a BlackBerry you twit. Waiting for your explanation how what I said was wrong.[/citation]
Wait, so you own a blackberry and then say that the GS3 has lag. What planet do you live on?

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
I love Samsungs thinking, now I am waiting for Home Depot to sue every house and building designer for using their lumber and materials to build homes and buildings... how dare builders do such a thing.

marcolorenzo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
It's funny how people keep bashing Apple because they're "sick of" all the lawsuits against Samsung. Imagine if I kept shoplifting and the police kept charging me with theft. I hope people like these Samsung supporters would come to my rescue and say, "stop picking on him!"

On another note, it's perfectly fine for a big company like Samsung to rip off others in the name of "fair competition" and/or "pushing innovation" apparently, but as soon as one of those small time Chinese companies start producing iPhone look alikes, people start screaming "PIRACY!" or "Come up with your own designs!" etc. Yeah, that sounds really fair.

Mind you, I'm not an Apple supporter by any stretch, I just think Samsung supporters are some of the most ridiculous people in the world. They can turn a blind eye to all the wrong doings of this company, no matter how obvious. These are the same type of people who used to support Apple because they were the underdogs, but now that Apple is such a big and successful company, people want to turn around and hate it. What a bunch of fools.

natoco

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
The A6 price increase per cpu has allready paid for that 1 billion dollar law suit that has not even been finalized lol. Apple have poked the bear and now the bears angry :D

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I wonder, is Samsung talking about standard essential patents? Because that's kinda invalid here, as those need to be licenced on reasonable terms. Bullshit patents (or other non-SE patents), like design patents, don't have to be. Of course, they might be talking about non-SE wireless patents here.

Personally, I would say that the first Galaxy S, was too similar to the iPhone. IIRC it was ruled not to be infringing.

BriboCN

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
The only thing I care about is when the dust settles I want both Apple and Samsung screaming for patent reform. It needs to happen and everyone knows it but as long as companies see it as a way to eliminate their competition through lawsuits it wont happen. Right now both Apple and Samsung spent WAY more on their legal departments and acquiring patents than they do R&D. Any monetary rewards from their lawsuits just get passed on to consumers. Both these situations just end up hurting customers.

The poor patent office is bombarded with hundreds of requests for the same patent just slightly reworded until they approve one. Just change it so when a tech patent is awarded that an arbitrator negotiates a universal licence fee for a set amount of time. Once enough time has passed that the patent has paid its R&D costs + a fair profit make it a generic patent similar to drug companies. The company the developed the tech will make their money back plus a nice profit and their products that share the same tech as other companies will maintain a price advantage (do not have to pay the license fee for the patent). Money wasted in legal fees and patent acquisition can be transitioned to more productive activities. Companies win, consumers win.

misnad

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
..and the Samsung Galaxy phones wouldn't have existed without Apple's innovation via the iPhone.. I think these folks need to learn to live together.. they both depend on each other.. for now.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Do any of you Apple hating idiots realize you can't have an LTE phone without Apple and the patents they also contribute? If Apple released a statement that said the LTE GS3 couldn't exist without Apple technology they'd be 100% correct.And do any of you understand what an SEP is? Samsung is OBLIGATED to let Apple use their standard essential patents at fair market prices. Unlike Samsung and Motorola, Apple doesn't abuse SEP's and seek injunctions based on them.Samsung has squat for non-SEP patents related to mobile devices. This is why they're in trouble in Korea, The EU and the US for abusing SEP's - they don't have any "normal" patents to countersue with so they tried to use SEP's instead.[/citation]
I think you're confused. Samsung is the company with more patents on the LTE arena, it has more than twice the patents Apple has.

[citation][nom]Marcus52[/nom]I get the impression Apple didn't know who they were messing with when they started this thing, heh.[/citation]

I'm pretty sure they did. The fact that Samsung is competition and has twice their net worth and 7 times their workforce is the very reason they had to be so defensive of their patents. Apple is trying to hold their ground with everything they have available.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... i would suggest to watch the first iPhone presentation with today's eyes... just see it in full... and then think pre ans post iPhone...

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Samsung trying to strong arm other smart phone companies so it can get away with murder, like steal Apple designs. Sounds legit....lol. SamSheep are ignorant of Samsung's under handed ways and to make this public is cheap and makes you wonder why Apple tries to protect itself with their own patents.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]GreaseMonkey_62[/nom]I say Samsung lets all their contracts with Apple expire. Then we'll see how long Apple lasts.[/citation]

Yeah, lets encourage foreign companies to destroy US companies. Good thinking champ!

sinfulpotato

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]Yeah, lets encourage foreign companies to destroy US companies. Good thinking champ![/citation]

Apple is more foreign then Samsung. You should do your homework.

whitex

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]..and the S3 wouldn't exist without Apple parents RE: billion dollar settlement.[/citation]

You're funny for the apple fan.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]victorintelr[/nom]Wow! Something looks very fishy here:Sooooo.... otacon72 says:echondo reply to otacon72 thread saying this:and who answers is tuffjuff:I do recall other comments sections for news to otacon72 saying that he didn't like the S3 'cause it was sluggish, etc.and later otacon72 answers back with this:So it looks pretty obvious that "Otacon72" is "tuffjuff"!!dang, come on otacon72, just because you are anti-android doesn't mean that you need to open another account just to keep up with the votes against you![/citation]

I think victorintelr should be promoted to chief of watch immediately. Nice catch

Status
Not open for further replies.