Samsung Launches 950 Pro SSD with NVMe and 3D V-NAND

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the Samsung SSD migration tool be supported for the 950 PRO?
It does not currently support any M.2 devices.
I can't bear the thought of reinstalling my accumulation of apps on a new "C" drive.

PROnvme

Reputable
Sep 24, 2015
Strange that Tom's didn't mention X99 in the main article, one of the first chipsets that came out with M.2 slots connected to 4xPCIe 3.0 lanes, many of the Z97 board are only connected to 2 lanes so sub optimal for this drive.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
I tend to overlook X99 and it skipped my mind. Yes, it will work with X99.

As for the migration tools, I will know in a few days what tools work. Samsung has a few tools and a new NVMe driver that is inbound. My drives arrive on Saturday but you will have to wait until the NDA lifts on October 10th for detailed performance information.

gbenninger

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015
I'm an owner of the 951. The major concern with the new M.2 drives is heat. They perform extremely quickly but if subjected to the long term stresses from video rendering for instance they bog down and become slower than tradional drives because they overheat. Has this been addressed with these new drives? 256 and 512 are ideal for system boot up and programs which load once to make the system snappy then you use a traditional drive for everything else.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
We asked about throttling and Samsung told us it was addressed with this drive. They did not elaborate on how it was addressed. I'll spend some time during testing on the 950 Pro drives and see what comes out of the other side.

I didn't have any issues with throttling in my SM951 retail drive but the Lenovo model had issues before the firmware update. Then again my test systems are in rackmount cases with very good front to back airflow without video cards over the m.2 SSDs.

I am not comfortable with the M.2 socket typically located under the main graphics card.
It would be helpful it the new devices had a way to mount the device elsewhere.
Perhaps a 2.5" format with a M.2 adapter cable.
Or, perhaps a slot mount with either a pcie x4 adapter or even a simple m.2 extension cable to get it away from the motherboard and into the case cooling airstream.

And... a question: I am more interested in latency times than sequential benchmark rates.
Do you m.2 devices see anything magical in latency times?

capd72

Reputable
May 19, 2014
I have read that if you would like to use the samsung 951 M2 Drive as a boot drive, you can not install windows OS using the traditional OEM Disk, instead you need to create a UEFI PEN Drive an istall the windows OS from it.

does this new samsung 950 M2 Drive have the same problem?

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
Yes, you need to install Windows NVMe boot drives in a UEFI environment. Microsoft has free tools for this and the ISO images are available from Microsoft to make the USB drive. Look for Microsoft's Media Creation Tool.

Karlos101

Reputable
Sep 22, 2015

Thank you sir.

Danny Lim

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
I don't think Z97 and Z170 North Bridge Chipsets only support NVMe protocol. X99 and maybe even X79 chipset should also support NVMe protocol since installing Intel 750 NVMe SSD works well in either Z170, Z97, or X99, but not sure about X79 chipset since Intel hasn't validated the X79 chipset.

Status
Not open for further replies.