[SOLVED] Samsung Magician Over-provisioning "The selected drive does not support this feature" error

I have a 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD mSata drive with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit installed on it using GPT. I recently did a clean install of Windows 10. Prior to this clean install, Samsung's Magician software was working properly on that same drive and same o/s. It now states that "The selected drive does not support this feature." I've uninstalled and reinstalled the software and that did not work. Any ideas? I am running the latest version 7.x of the software.

Solution
I fixed it. Samsung does not enable over-provisioning on their drives by default; They only enable TRIM. In order to turn-on over-provisioning, run diagnostics, perform optimization, you have to use their software. You need to install while logged-in as an administrator, and not use the "run as administrator" option; It will install, but the software will not work correctly, even when trying to use the program with "run as administrator" option.

The software creates an unallocated partition on the drive to the right of C:\ and to the left of the Recovery partition. The software will not see or use an unallocated partition that you created yourself in the same spot.

twowheelstom

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2014
what's GPT? and where you say the selective drive does not support this feature, what drive is that? and where you say uninstalled and reinstalled the software, what software? need more info

It is a total of 500 gb. 465 gb usable, That is the proper amount for a 500 gb drive after formatting and such.

The 1st partition is: 100 mb EFI (system partition) ; The 2nd is: boot partition of 465 GB; The 3rd partition is: 509 mb Recovery Partition.

I shrunk C: by 47 gb. and tried Magician again, same result; Tried creating a partition; Same result; Formatted that partition; same result. Since it failed to work, I extended C: back to the original size of 465 GB. I'm not certain if I tried it without the partition or not, and just free space, but I believe I tried that also.

USAFRet

Titan
It is a total of 500 gb. 465 gb usable, That is the proper amount for a 500 gb drive after formatting and such.

The 1st partition is: 100 mb EFI (system partition) ; The 2nd is: boot partition of 465 GB; The 3rd partition is: 509 mb Recovery Partition.

I shrunk C: by 47 gb. and tried Magician again, same result; Tried creating a partition; Same result; Formatted that partition; same result. Since it failed to work, I extended C: back to the original size of 465 GB. I'm not certain if I tried it without the partition or not, and just free space, but I believe I tried that also.
Just leave some space free.
Like, don't go over 400GB actual used space.

The drive firmware figures it out.

No OP or weird partition shrinking needed.

I'm interested in getting it fixed. It currently is not using any Over-provisioning disk space none. If someone knows how to fix the software to make it work, and to enable Over-provisioning; Diagnostics; and Optimization, please respond.

Last edited:
I fixed it. Samsung does not enable over-provisioning on their drives by default; They only enable TRIM. In order to turn-on over-provisioning, run diagnostics, perform optimization, you have to use their software. You need to install while logged-in as an administrator, and not use the "run as administrator" option; It will install, but the software will not work correctly, even when trying to use the program with "run as administrator" option.

The software creates an unallocated partition on the drive to the right of C:\ and to the left of the Recovery partition. The software will not see or use an unallocated partition that you created yourself in the same spot.

Solution