Samsung Makes a $111.5M Investment in Sharp

Status
Not open for further replies.
"But one analyst claims that Apple bailed out the struggling display manufacturer – pushing over $2 billion USD in the last quarter alone -- because Sharp is a key supplier of screens for the iPhone and other iDevices, and like Samsung, wants a secured supply. Another analyst currently believes that Samsung made its recent investment so that Apple doesn't have exclusive access to Sharp."

So, these are just some analyst's speculations, not confirmed facts from Samsung. Yet, they made the title of the article.

"Reporting" news with a bait title should be exclusive to tabloids.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]"But one analyst claims that Apple bailed out the struggling display manufacturer – pushing over $2 billion USD in the last quarter alone -- because Sharp is a key supplier of screens for the iPhone and other iDevices, and like Samsung, wants a secured supply. Another analyst currently believes that Samsung made its recent investment so that Apple doesn't have exclusive access to Sharp."So, these are just some analyst's speculations, not confirmed facts from Samsung. Yet, they made the title of the article."Reporting" news with a bait title should be exclusive to tabloids.[/citation]

What did you expect from Kevin Parrish? I'm surprised the article is even readable, without random memes and the word "Nuke" shoehorned in every second sentence. About as far from real journalism as you can get.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
The only reason I can see Samsung wanting Sharp LCD panels is so they can stand them in the shape of a toilet so they can show how much crap their competition is. Why would a panel maker like Samsung need to secure panels from Sharp?

G

Why does Samsung want to invest in a competitor of LCD panels, when Samsung makes their own LCD panels?

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Nice. I would definitely not want to see Sharp going bankrupt especially since they are one of the few remaining that can still compete against LG displays. If I'm not mistaken, LG currently makes around 70% of every display and are getting closer to monopolizing the entire display market.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]jupiter optimus maximus[/nom]Why does Samsung want to invest in a competitor of LCD panels, when Samsung makes their own LCD panels?[/citation]
Because, with a projected sale of 500 million smartphones in just one year, Samsung doesn't have enough manufacturing lines to make display panels for all their smartphones, tablets, laptops, monitors, TV, and other smart devices like smart fridge, washer/dryers, etc. I believe Samsung uses 3 companies for their display panels which are 1) Their own 2) LG 3) Sharp

Also, they probably are contracted for 3, 5 ,10 year to pump out displays for other companies such as Sony, Panasonic, etc. So until the contract is over, they have to use a certain % of their production line to pump out displays for other companies.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
You ever see a Sharp Aquos with quattron tech running at 120hz?
Absolutely beautiful picture, the added yellow makes one heck of a difference.
I'm sure the investment will include a cross platform license for Samsung to add in quattron to their current lines to their lines of tvs, and possibly even smart phone screens and tablets as well, which would be a HUGE leg up over Apple's "retina" displays on their tablets and phones, so if you viewed the products running the same video/ apps side by side Samsung would clearly have the better picture and would definitely be a strong selling point.
Good move by Samsung, its smart and opens quite a few strong options to improve themselves and block a competitor as well from getting a hold of tech that could make or break a run at the true #1 spot for smart phones and tablets, AND they might be able to throw a wrench into Apple's possible plans for a high quality iTV.

echondo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
[citation][nom]ikyung[/nom]Because, with a projected sale of 500 million smartphones in just one year, Samsung doesn't have enough manufacturing lines to make display panels for all their smartphones, tablets, laptops, monitors, TV, and other smart devices like smart fridge, washer/dryers, etc. I believe Samsung uses 3 companies for their display panels which are 1) Their own 2) LG 3) SharpAlso, they probably are contracted for 3, 5 ,10 year to pump out displays for other companies such as Sony, Panasonic, etc. So until the contract is over, they have to use a certain % of their production line to pump out displays for other companies.[/citation]

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

A lot of display manufacturers, even Samsung, do not always create their whole LCD in house. If you take apart your monitor/TV I bet there is a completely different brand under the housing. My Dell U2312HM is really a LG panel(and I love it), but I didn't know that until I read a thorough review about it and the reviewer took the panel apart.

natoco

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
Good for both companys, not long ago i heard samsung sell a tv every 3 sec worldwide, and i thought 'wow thats a lot' let alone all the other panel markets they make for. Sounds like they need every screen they can get there hands on just to fill the volume rather than to try and steal screen tech secrets.

Status
Not open for further replies.