[SOLVED] Samsung Migration Software - Can it clone a larger HDD to a smaller SSD?

On a friend's build, I will need to migrate OS/App/data from 1TB HDD to a 500GB SSD. Does the Samsung Migration software allow me to migrate data from a larger drive to a smaller volume IF the source's used data fits the capacity of the smaller volume? Please no guesses. Only answer if you know for certain, based on previous experience with this specific scenario, on this specific software. The laptop is not yet in my possession and the SSD is not yet purchased. If it ends up being necessary to purchase a larger 1TB capacity SSD, then other laptop upgrades must be eliminated, to balance the upgrade budget.

Old storage: WESTERN DIGITAL BLUE HDD 1.0TB 9.5MM 5400RPM WD10JPVX-22JC3T0 2.5" SATA
New storage: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Last edited:
Solution
If for some reason Migration does not work going to a smaller drive, and If the WD blue 1 TB drive has lots of unused space anyway, you could always shrink it's partition to 465 GB in size so it does fit...

(I have read in numerous articles that Samsung's Migration does indeed support going to a smaller SSD...)
If for some reason Migration does not work going to a smaller drive, and If the WD blue 1 TB drive has lots of unused space anyway, you could always shrink it's partition to 465 GB in size so it does fit...

(I have read in numerous articles that Samsung's Migration does indeed support going to a smaller SSD...)

Solution
The partition can be shrunk in Administrative Tools---Computer management---Storage----Disk Mngmt

Click on the drive in question, right click, there will be a 'shrink volume' option
(Again, I do not think it will be necessary anyway from what I've read...)

USAFRet

Titan
Cloning via Macrium indeed can go from a larger drive to a smaller.
The only thing that matters is the actual consumed space.

Going into a 500GB drive, your actual consumed space needs to be below 400GB.
Either Samsung Data Migration or Macrium Reflect.

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the 450MB Recovery Partition, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.co...thy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall

Ask questions if anything is unclear.