Samsung Ml-2950 Paper jam caused by replaced toner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
I had just installed a Sansung laser toner after the previous one was losing its function. .. ...For some reason the printer door would not close completely, so it could not print. After various attempts i got as far as hearing the paper moving but instead of coming out the usual way at the top of the printer, one sheet was stuck below just about above the paper tray. I have settled in the past with jams at the top , but never one like this at the bottom front. I can't pull the paper out and starting the printer does nothing. Does anyone know how i can get that jam paper released without taking the printer apart?

Ralston18

Titan
This printer?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/samsung-ml-2950-laser-printer-series/17156817/manuals

and

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05786432.pdf

[Do verify that I found the applicable manual.]

Review the entire manual first. Then take a closer look at Chapter 4 (Page 55) regarding clearing paper jams.

You should not need to take the printer apart.

Removing the toner cartridge and the paper trays should provide suitable access for troubleshooting and paper removal.

Use a bright flashlight to carefully inspect all of the printer's insides. Especially the paper path(s).

= = = =

Where did you get the replacement toner cartridge? Could be defective, refurbished (previously used), or simply counterfeit.

Double check or otherwise vet the seller.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
This printer?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/samsung-ml-2950-laser-printer-series/17156817/manuals

and

[Do verify that I found the applicable manual.]

Review the entire manual first. Then take a closer look at Chapter 4 (Page 55) regarding clearing paper jams.

You should not need to take the printer apart.

Removing the toner cartridge and the paper trays should provide suitable access for troubleshooting and paper removal.

Use a bright flashlight to carefully inspect all of the printer's insides. Especially the paper path(s).

= = = =

Where did you get the replacement toner cartridge? Could be defective, refurbished (previously used), or simply counterfeit.

Double check or otherwise vet the seller.
I purchased it from store that goes by 1-2-3, recommended from one of your moderators, I believe. It turned out that it may have cost me a repair job. No instructions came with it and I wasn't expecting it to, cause i have replaced the toners before and had smooth sailing....but this guy had things attached to the toner that looked like a ring, orange color at both ends of the toner. At first i did not see them, but then i took a chance and pulled them out and the toners went in smoothly. There were 2 toners involved that i bought. In this process as i was trying the first time and had difficulty, when i pulled it out i saw a wide orange, plastic gadget which was loose. I took it out and now it seems to have caused me to have jams. It was I believe just below the toner insertion which is just over the paper tray and that is where the paper jams. This was the first time in all these years that i had a jam in that area, usually i would get a jam at the top. So i believe if i could know where that orange gadget belongs, it would be fine. I did get one good print the first time i used one of the toners. I will look at the manual and hope it may show a description of that piece. I could send a pic of it with one of those rings, but need a reminder how to upload a pic here again.

Ralston18

Titan
Orange gadgets?

Those might have been shipping restraints that are to be removed upon receipt, installation, and printer setup.

The intent being to prevent internal printer parts from being banged around during transport.

If so, there was likely (or should have been) some "Read me first" document showing where the restraints were placed and they should be removed. Prior to installation and product use.

Tape is used for the same purposes in various products. Sometimes with a "Remove Me" type label. Labels cost money so the labels could have been skipped to "save costs".

Do not remember seeing such restraints with toner cartridges per. However, I would not be surprised if the toner cartridge materials were getting too flimsy and unable to withstand rough handling when shipped. Thus the restraints....

To upload photographs use imgur (www.imgur.com).

Orange tape and pull rings have been used for a great many years on toner cartridges (also used to secure various parts in the printer during shipping). This is covered in the printer manual or a flyer in the box with the cartridge (or both).

Reactions: Ralston18

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
I need someone who knows the mechanics of a samsung printer. If i knew what that 'gadget' was called, i would have mentioned it. The best way i can describe the situation is that loose 'gadget' seems to prevent my print to come out from the top of the printer as it has done beautifully all these years and now is forcing a paper print to come out from the bottom of the printer, which i never had happened before. Maybe that bottom is the manual feed, if i have one, but never did use manually.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
Orange gadgets?

Those might have been shipping restraints that are to be removed upon receipt, installation, and printer setup.

The intent being to prevent internal printer parts from being banged around during transport.

If so, there was likely (or should have been) some "Read me first" document showing where the restraints were placed and they should be removed. Prior to installation and product use.

Tape is used for the same purposes in various products. Sometimes with a "Remove Me" type label. Labels cost money so the labels could have been skipped to "save costs".

Do not remember seeing such restraints with toner cartridges per. However, I would not be surprised if the toner cartridge materials were getting too flimsy and unable to withstand rough handling when shipped. Thus the restraints....

To upload photographs use imgur (www.imgur.com).
For years i have been puchasing replacement toners for this printer and not once did i even see anything connected tape or otherwise to them and had no trouble inserting them and using them. This was the first time something like those were connected to them. In fact one had 2 rings and the other just one...so after removing them, ( not knowing anything about them, the insertions went in smoothly and i even made one nict test print. It was when i tried to check the other toner after removing the good toner, I noticed this orange plastic gadget loose. It was obvious that it was part of the printer, and with my limited knowledge, I assume it was like a diverter...it somehow has something to do to make sure that when i ask for a print , it would come out from the top of this printer, which is what it has been doing all these years and now when i ask for a print, a paper appears at the bottom and jams. You probably understand it better after looking at it if i am successful in uploading here. I tried that link to upload a pic and it is too complicated and glitchy to continue. TomsHardware is a wonderful forum, but experiencing other forums which have simpler ways to verify or upload a pictures merely by uploading a pic by browsing to where a pic is located on the computer is a lot quicker than signing one's personal information as asked by that link.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
On the imgur website do you see a green "New Post" button in the upper left part of the webpage?

The resulting screen is a "Drop images here" window.

[Note: The green "New post" is the only button that you should need to click. As I understand your post you may be clicking "Sign up" which, to my understanding, is not necessary.

As for "orange parts", I found this:

https://www.amazon.com/TG-Imaging-C...ocphy=9007868&hvtargid=pla-944712353895&psc=1

Toner Cartridge

The orange plastic is clearly shown with the word "Remove". Quite possible that some third party seller just skipped over having the word embedded in/on the retainer. And did not bother with including instructions or documentation to do so.

No mechanics per se involved. Likely just low end replacement cartridges that are likely to do more harm than good once installed and used.

Try posting the toner images again so we can get a good look at both the printer and the toner cartridges.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
I went to that link and there is NO green spot at the top right side, but i did see on the left side a box that says "drop pic here". I did, and then it comes up with all these variables, almost like asking you to sign in. I don't know the last time u used it yourself but it has changed from what you told me. That orange thing is not like the one i am talking about, you can see by that pic it was for safety reasons but my toners did not come like that at all. But lets assume that my orange gadget was for safety reasons, why would the paper get stuck at that bottom and not continue at the top as it has for years? Surely can't blame the toners, and like I said in my other post I made a very good test print from one of them only 5 minutes prior to that later jam. I tried it twice and each time it came out at the bottom and jammed. So as of now that printer is useless.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
Here is a cartoon that I just "dropped" into imgur.

View: https://imgur.com/a/86Sj9fZ

What do you (or anyone else following this thread) see?

I was not prompted for any "sign in" information or "all these variables". Curious about what others may experience.....

= = = =

Photographs of the printer, printer internals, toner cartridge, etc. are a must.

Very much need visuals here.
View: https://imgur.com/ZHBvYFL

It seems that it makes a difference by using a different browser ....this time i got an offer to copy a link which i included above. Now, if i was successful this time and u see the picture, I know your going to say that is a protection for the toner cause it looks like the tape you showed me, but this is NOT tape, its plastic and its straight...there is nothing on it that would attach to a toner. I hope this clears up the 'mystery' of this thread. If You want to see the inners of my printer, you would be better off going to HP site.

That's off of the toner/developer cartridge. "Orange" means that it is to be removed before installation. If that was allowed to be loose inside it's likely to have caused something to break, or at least to have been knocked out of alignment and block the paper path.

Ralston18

Titan
Both plastic and/or tape have been used. Most likely determined by what is both cheapest to purchase and put into place during the manufacturing process. Cardboard is also used sometimes.

= = = =

As stated above it is the MI-2950 printer that may be damaged inside.

And I will add that going to HP's website is probably not going to be directly helpful with respect to the printer's internal components. Barring some maintenance and repair manual with actual component photographs that can be used to compare to what is visible in your printer.

I found the following User Manual:

Paper jams and related troubleshooting is presented in Chapter 4 beginning on physically numbered Page 55.

The presented sketches do not provide actual photographs and indeed are a bit simplistic.

One thing (per Page 62) to look at is the Status LED (if available).

What does the Status LED indicate? Reference Pages 63 and 64.

Take a bright flashlight and closely examine as much of the printer's internals as you can see.

Any sort of damage: cracks, blockages, missing pieces, missing screws, bent metal components, gear teeth gone, twisted plastic will likely be or lead to the culprit.

Look carefully. It does not take much for some tiny amount of damage or mis-alignment to cause paper jams. Even a just a scrap of paper or other debrs is all that it takes.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
Thank u all....I too found the illustrations on the printer simplistic...in HP...When i first noticed that gadget I thought it was part of the printer itself..cause when i removed the toner there was nothing attached to it. I guess i have been spoiled from the toners i have bought in the past from another company and they never included any type of protection and they all worked flawlessly. I removed a toner and looked to see how it could have been attached to it and there is no clue...nothing to insert or grab, plus i bought 2 toners and where is the other gadget....that was the only one and it was in the printer, loose. My next step is to connect the printer to my laptop and see if win 10 might be of more help.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
OK, a slight sigh of relief. I connected my usb printer to my laptop and it made a print of a document and at the top of my printer, so the path was what i always had. But now, for some reason i cannot get it to work from my desktop, where its permanently connected to and use. Seems it maybe a printer driver problem with the desktop version. I tried to update the driver but its not simple with Win 7. I have the latest driver, and being win 7 is not getting any updates anymore, I couldn't find a way to remove the driver and reinstall it. It says go to device manager and remove it from there, but i don't see Printer listed and being its usb connected i looked at usb controllers list and there are so many listed, there is no way that i can pick the right one.

Status
Not open for further replies.