Question Samsung MZVLW256HEHP PM961 256GB M.2 NVMe PCIe Internal SSD: adapter/enclosure to help with image clone identification??

May 3, 2019
I recently purchased this M.2 drive to replace the "getting full" original C: drive in my Lenovo laptop:

Samsung MZVLW256HEHP PM961 256GB M.2 NVMe PCIe Internal SSD (couple of links below)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAADF91M4224

I looked up the spec's/details on the original c: drive in the laptop, and it is a 128GB version of this (data drives is a1 TB).

Having a hard time identifying an adapter/enclosure (USB?) that I can mount this into, then hook into the laptop, and do an image copy from my original c: drive to this new drive, and then replace it.

Can anyone help out here, offer some advice and guidance?

Thanks!!

USAFRet

Titan
Assuming you have another drive with sufficient free space to hold the entirety of your current m.2 drive:

1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
  2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks"
  3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. External USB HDD, maybe. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
  4. When done, power OFF.
  5. Swap the 2 drives
  6. Boot up from the Rescue USB you created earlier.
  7. Recover, and tell it where the Image is that you created in step 3, and which drive to apply it to...the new m.2
  8. Go, and wait until it finishes.
  9. That's all...this should work.

May 3, 2019
Thank you all for your timely and very informative, helpful replies here!!
OK - I have access to a "cloning system." Basically can hook whatever type drive (my original 128GB M.2 drive) to the "Master"side, and the new drive (256GB M.2 drive) to the "Target" side, and once sync'd, just tell it run the image clone. Are the enclosures you note here able to at least plug into a USB port? The cloning system has several different types of connections to the "Master" and "Target" ports, as well as USB. Thanks again!!!!

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you all for your timely and very informative, helpful replies here!!
OK - I have access to a "cloning system." Basically can hook whatever type drive (my original 128GB M.2 drive) to the "Master"side, and the new drive (256GB M.2 drive) to the "Target" side, and once sync'd, just tell it run the image clone. Are the enclosures you note here able to at least plug into a USB port? The cloning system has several different types of connections to the "Master" and "Target" ports, as well as USB. Thanks again!!!!
You have a dual port m.2 NVMe capable device?
Link to this, please?

May 3, 2019
You have a dual port m.2 NVMe capable device?
Link to this, please?
As long as you have your M.2 drives each in an enclosure as is noted above here, and the enclosures are USB or SATA or .... type interfaces, you can use a cloning system from the following company/web site - I have one of these where I work, and we literally back up HDD's and SSD's on hundreds of manufacturing systems we have with it. Never lets us down! Highly recommended:

Logicube (I have the SATA/PATA/IDE/ATA unit, and a SCSI unit, with LOTS of adapter connectors!)

https://www.logicube.com/?v=7516fd43adaa

Hope this helps!! It's as fast as the respective h/w will allow!!

Regards folks...........Conservative

May 3, 2019
I thought you had a link to a dual bay NVMe enclosure.

The one popatim linked above will work just fine with the Macrium software. No other hardware needed.
Roger that, USAFRet Titan! I actually started this with Macrium last night, hope to finish it tonight if time allows.
Really appreciate all the guidance you folks are lending here - helps a LOT!
TY...........Conservative!!