Samsung: Netbooks Can Handle Full Windows 7

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]judeh101[/nom]maybe instead of doing that, manufacturers should put a warning on the manual saying "Don't open too many applications at the same time, or it will greatly reduce the performance of the computer"[/citation]
and the user goes... is outlook a program?

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]The application limit is actually a Window limit. There can only be 3 windows open at anytime. Background apps do not apply.[/citation]
What if the application has multiple windows? I'm actually interested in how they are implementing this. I was joking before, but now I'm actually curious. Also, some programs run in the background but open windows when needed (anti-virus and chat programs for example).

G

the thing is, Windows 7 still works slower than XP, slower than Win98, and much slower than WinNT4.0
What we tested so far, Win7beta works fine on a 1,66Ghz processor pc with 2GB of DDR2 400Mhz RAM, and a notebook 5200rpm hd.
It fits also on a 6GB HD.
But this is only the initial installation.
After that many programs will need to be installed that will affect performance, like compression program, anti virus/firewall, perhaps an internet explorer/firefox/.., an office packet, some games, manufacturer specific drivers to 'improve' hardware performance (sometimes to the cost of OS response time), software around hardware like eg: recording or TV software for a TV card, a blueray/DVD playback software, with additional codecs,
recovery software, bloatware standard from the notebook's manufacturer, flash,Java and popup blocker, etc...
Perhaps even some work related softwares like autocad, CAD-CAM, SAP, a warehouse stock program, or other...
How will Windows 7 perform in these conditions?
I know that XP works blazing fast, almost as fast as Win98 or NT out of the box. But that generally is over before even the first service pack is released.

I think even the netbook versions of Windows 7 will be a heavy load for them, if not run from a reasonable fast SSD (at least faster than a HD)!

kato128

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]the thing is, Windows 7 still works slower than XP, slower than Win98, and much slower than WinNT4.0What we tested so far, Win7beta works fine on a 1,66Ghz processor pc with 2GB of DDR2 400Mhz RAM, and a notebook 5200rpm hd.It fits also on a 6GB HD.But this is only the initial installation.After that many programs will need to be installed that will affect performance, like compression program, anti virus/firewall, perhaps an internet explorer/firefox/.., an office packet, some games, manufacturer specific drivers to 'improve' hardware performance (sometimes to the cost of OS response time), software around hardware like eg: recording or TV software for a TV card, a blueray/DVD playback software, with additional codecs,recovery software, bloatware standard from the notebook's manufacturer, flash,Java and popup blocker, etc...Perhaps even some work related softwares like autocad, CAD-CAM, SAP, a warehouse stock program, or other...How will Windows 7 perform in these conditions?I know that XP works blazing fast, almost as fast as Win98 or NT out of the box. But that generally is over before even the first service pack is released.I think even the netbook versions of Windows 7 will be a heavy load for them, if not run from a reasonable fast SSD (at least faster than a HD)![/citation]

You're greatly mistaken comparing speed of nt and 98 to xp. ever try a NT4.0 install on hardware thats about 3-4 yrs old? well let me tell you you'll be done in under 10mins.
XP is a dog compared to NT and 98 when it comes to speed and 7 will be the same compared to XP. All it does is drive intel to bring out faster stuff. Also don't think that improvements to windows are just cosmetic and we're not getting and benefit from the slow down. There's a heck of a lot of underlying functionality thats added/improved in various iterations of windows that are largely transparent to the user.

Also don't think that netbooks are standing still. By the time 7 ships there will be running 2.0ghz+ netbooks and you can bet ram capacity will increase too.

randomizer

Champion
Software is designed to keep hardware from seeming any faster than it was 10 years ago, didn't you know? Software "speed" follows the inverse trend of Moore's Law ;)

On a more serious note, what Vista and Win 7 bring to the table over XP is out-of-the-box compatibility with newer devices, while dropping compatibility with older things at the same time (which IMO is a good thing). XP needs SP2 + updates or SP3 just to work with WPA2 encryption, and doesn't even come with drivers for onboard Realtek Ethernet! I forgot I even needed drivers for my Ethernet until I dual-booted with XP again.

vaskodogama

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
If MS increase the APP limit for stater edition from 3 to 6 or something more than 3, it will be better!
there can be ACCIDENTALLY OPENED WINDOWS, like antivirus or anything, like randomizer mentioned.

dainsane1

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
i'm curious where all the system tray apps would be classed. any average user i come across has a hundred and one things in the system tray that is stuffed there form every peripheral and player and codec installed.

even on a light load i have at least 4 open apps (web, e-mail, im, media player) add 2 sys tray apps(AV,b/w metre). That's 6 for a clean computer with a knowledgeable user (not doing anything); now what happens when I go to do some work add at least 3 more apps and for the average user 10 more system tray items.

Ok now i have gone a bit overboard here comparing my work system to a netbook use. i have a netbook (asus 701) loaded it with xubuntu and it serves me quite well. i wouldn't event attempt to use xp on it never mind win7. Right so i seem to have lost my point. I'll go with: the point of netbooks are to be a ultra low cost ultra portable; this does not mean cripple it to the point of aggravation to the average nitwit user and the geek alike. I really hope this 3 app thing is rumor and not what ship's; while it would certainly create work for me it's not the type of work i'm looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.