Question Samsung Odyssey G7 - Monitor disconnects semi-randomly, anyone else experiencing this?

Jul 21, 2020
Hi all -

Having some weird issue with my new Samsung Odyssey G7 monitor (32 inch). I received it yesterday, and have been experiencing weird disconnect issues.

I am running a dual monitor setup, with the other monitor being MSI's Optix MPG341CQR (an ultrawide, 120 hz). After I installed the G7 everything was running smoothly, until the monitor started losing signal at what I thought were random moments. I replaced the Displayport cable, and the issue persisted, I then switched the ports, and still the same.

The weird part is that the issue happens more often if I only have the G7 plugged in, and if Adaptive Sync is on. But having both monitors connected and Adaptive Sync off doesn't completely eliminate the issue, just makes it happen less frequently. The only thing that seems to prevent the issue completely is if I have the monitor connected to my PC via HDMI, which I don't want to do since it limits the refresh rate to 144hz (Native is 240hz).

I tried to completely remove my nvidia drivers, and reverted them to an earlier build, and still the same issue is happening.

The other thing is that the issue happens mostly when turning HDR off, or when starting a video either on Hulu or Netflix (though not always), or just when doing normal stuff. In games I have yet to experience the issue.

I thought for sure this was a driver issue, or a GPU issue, but what puzzles me is that it does not happen with the other monitor at all. Only to the G7.

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this? I'm wondering what I can do next - any thoughts would be very much appreciated!

PC Specs:
i9 9900KF
ASUS Strix 2080 Ti
32 GB DDR4 G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series F4-3600C16D-16GVKC
MSI MEG Z390 ACE

Jul 21, 2020
This may be a dumb question, but are you using an appropriate dp cable standard and do you have hdr on?

Hey! Yep - the DP standard is 1.4 (both the graphics card and monitor support it), and I also tried switching to 1.2 just in case in the monitor settings - it didn't help. The issue happens with HDR on or off (sometimes it happens while switching between them).

Something else I didn't mention because I didn't think it would be related (but who knows) - my motherboard's USB ports have suddenly stopped working about a month ago. Only the front panel ports work now. I contacted MSI's customer support about it, and they think my ram is not supported and is causing the issue (the specific model I use is not in their list of tested ram, which I didn't know to check before getting these). So I am weighing getting either a new motherboard or new ram (they are basically gonna cost the same thing, since the "supported" ram seems to be more expensive). Not sure if that could have anything to do with this - but at this point I have no clues as to what is happening.

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
I don't mean the ports, but the cable itself. Also... I am pretty certain that USB issue is with your mobo. I have never heard of ram causing USB ports not to work. Usually it's a short somewhere.

Aug 11, 2020
Mine keeps doing the same thing. 27 inch g7 odyssey. Newest drivers with clean install, newest firmware update. Doesn’t matter what settings I have on monitor but it goes black for a couple seconds and comes back. I have i9 9900k and rtx 2080 ti. I have a feeling it’s a driver issue with our cards that hasn’t been released yet by Nvidia. I’m at a loss, I have to return this thing with the way it is. I can’t just wait and pray an update comes out to fix this after spending $700.

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
When the screen goes blank for a couple seconds then comes back, its usually a sign there is something wrong with the connection from the GPU to the Monitor. Faulty cable, faulty port, or insufficient bandwidth for your settings. I have never really seen drivers being the culprit for that type of issue.

Aug 25, 2020
Same problem here. Its not that big of a issue but frustrating for sure. Dont know weather to send it back or just wait. Almost the same specs too, except for brands.

Sep 1, 2020
I also have a dual monitor setup and am getting this exact same issue, attempted various cables, confirmed with other monitors and have all drivers correctly updated. my DP1 wont work at all now but at first it just randomly stayed black without stating that it had no signal or anything.

Sep 20, 2020
Exactly the same problem, running a single monitor, 2080ti, 3700x
And I had some flickerings running across the screen when using Adaptive-Sync
And at some point the color's got weird when playing COD, but it fixed itself with a restart
IMG_20200912_133132.jpg