Samsung OLED is Virtually Indestructible

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
"...so any attempt to hammer a device that carries such a screen might not destroy the display right away, but will do some damage to everything else."

If they put the frame of the device between the screen and components (with only the connecting wires coming through), it would be much more durable and would allow for larger screens :D

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]which consumes more power: OLED or LCD?- all other things equal (same screen size, resolution, brightness, ...)[/citation]

LCD consumes more power.

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
"It's just one big explosion of black liquid that reminds me of a very freaked out squid."
Yummy boy, ever bothered (as a writer for a so called tech site) how a LCD is working? The liquid is transparent, it just twists the polarization of light based on a electrical potential applied with (thin transparent) electrodes. The "black thing" is just light polarized perpendicular (by the first filter) to that of the (second) polarizing filter, so it just does not get through... when there are no (spilled) liquid crystals to twist it.

Back to the topic, OLEDs are still life limited, compared to LCDs, and more so the lifetime varies depending on emitted wavelength (an old display will render wrong colors).
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]which consumes more power: OLED or LCD?- all other things equal (same screen size, resolution, brightness, ...)[/citation]
Power consumption of OLEDs might be sometimes higher (depending on the percent of surface lighted an intensity) than transmissive LCDs, due to their lower efficiency compared to LEDs (used as backlight), but an LCD backlight is always "full power". Reflective LCDs (w/o backlight) OTOH, consume almost nothing (the classic LCD wristwatch, for example).

Ehsan w

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
can't wait till Nanosuits are mainstream XD
that would be awesome XD
everybody running around, jumping like crazy
and of course...fighting :p

This will indeed be marvelous once it hits the market and even better when it's been on the market for awhile so the price can drop. I really see it being great in cell phones so they can take more daily punishment or the occasional major fall or something. The better contrast will also be great for TV's and monitors, but I would expect those to cost a pretty penny at first.

sanctoon

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
[citation][nom]ossie[/nom]"It's just one big explosion of black liquid that reminds me of a very freaked out squid."Yummy boy, ever bothered (as a writer for a so called tech site) how a LCD is working? The liquid is transparent, it just twists the polarization of light based on a electrical potential applied with (thin transparent) electrodes. The "black thing" is just light polarized perpendicular (by the first filter) to that of the (second) polarizing filter, so it just does not get through... when there are no (spilled) liquid crystals to twist it.Back to the topic, OLEDs are still life limited, compared to LCDs, and more so the lifetime varies depending on emitted wavelength (an old display will render wrong colors).Power consumption of OLEDs might be sometimes higher (depending on the percent of surface lighted an intensity) than transmissive LCDs, due to their lower efficiency compared to LEDs (used as backlight), but an LCD backlight is always "full power". Reflective LCDs (w/o backlight) OTOH, consume almost nothing (the classic LCD wristwatch, for example).[/citation]

Just last friday I cracked a notebook lcd by accident, regardless of the regardless of the real color of the liquid, it indeed reminded me of and freaked out squid.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
OLED SHMOLED, I have been hearing about OLED for many, many years now and they still can't get past making tiny screens. Unless these guys are serious and ramp up production screen sizes, its nothing but a niche market.

G

You 'C A N' destroy it though, with a knife or fire.
But there's a lot of research been done with plastic screens, be it TFT, LED, OLED, AM OLED, or just Pixelqi's screen!
For small and thin devices plastic screens are the future!

problem now is they need to be scratch resistant. You noticed the RUBBER hammer? It wasn't a metal one!
Screens like that are not scratch resistant. They coat it with a fiberoptic layer, which makes it hard to bend in an angle, but rather makes it bend in a curve.

We're into a time where the battery will be the next big thing in mids.
The battery will be the largest part of a device, and together with the input device (eg: keyboard) be the determining factor of the device's size!

markalex7400

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
I really don't like the Samsung is advertising its OLED TV. Just look at the phrase "Samsung OLED is Virtually Indestructible". This is really unethical. No body can believe this. for what i know is that there is nothing made by man that is indestructible. So please try to use words that are real and can make people believe.

markalex7400

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
I really don't like the way Samsung is advertising its OLED TV. Just look at the phrase "Samsung OLED is Virtually Indestructible". This is really unethical. No body can believe this. for what i know is that there is nothing made by man that is indestructible. So please try to use words that are real and can make people believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.