Samsung OLED Laptop Coming Late 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
^
Out sector is just crap due to the fucking H1Bs, and foreign outsourcing. I swear, if I have to explain to one more contractor from India how to do his job, while he goes "hello? What?" a fucking thousand times, I'm going to... quietly cry in the corner of my cube when nobody's looking.

G

My wife and I both agreed on something already mentioned years before with other keyboards like this:
They look very nice, but I doubt you'll be able to type well on it, because you have almost no response from the keyboard, save some tap sound they could implement.

Then there's the accidental touching of the keyboard...

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Anyone remember the projected keyboard? Yeah, it would project "keys" on to anything... your desk, wall, whatever. So it would see where your fingers are pointing to type.

Didn't work to well... no feel whatesoever. :)

OLED is the future... eventually. 10 years ago, LCDs were far more expensive. In 2015, OLEDs at 24" should be around $250~400... like LCDs are today.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
We can only dream that it'll look something like this 12.1-inch 1280x768 AMOLED prototype in the image above (from OLED-info).
Why on earth would you want a monitor that needs to be propped up?! If you accidentally knock it closed (the prop and the monitor) while adjust Whoop! there it goes head over heals. Hope it doesn't land on the screen edge!

I love OLED! I think it looks absolutely stunning but that prototype is nothing close to practical.

I think enough people have pointed out the other significant flaws of the design.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]Anyone remember the projected keyboard? Yeah, it would project "keys" on to anything... your desk, wall, whatever. So it would see where your fingers are pointing to type.Didn't work to well... no feel whatesoever. OLED is the future... eventually. 10 years ago, LCDs were far more expensive. In 2015, OLEDs at 24" should be around $250~400... like LCDs are today.[/citation]

Yeah, I've never tried the projected keyboard thing, but it looked interesting.

Actually, I got a 32" Samsung @ Walmart a few weeks ago for $438. The LCD prices have really crashed lately.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
From the picture it is a shiny fingerprint magnet including the keyboard area. No thanks, That is the first thing I weed out when looking for a laptop, no shiny parts, lids and so one. Bring back the matte finish please, including screens.

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
OMG I've been waiting for OLED to mature since - IDK - forever?!? :(
Honestly, there's no electronics show anywhere without some booth preaching the advent and greatness of OLED...

Personally, I would welcome the screens with open arms. Lately I've been using both my PDA and my notebook quite a lot and I love the things a notebook allow me to do while on the move, but I hate it's bulkiness when compared to my PDA... I think I know why they don't call them laptops anymore: you can NEVER use them on your lap: you need a table and a chair, and both you hands...

Then again, My PDA may be a lot more mobile, playing through media like nobody's business, handling communications and GPS, fitting nicely in my pocket, but it's so damn small for web surfing, text and the like. Now, don't get me wrong, I've read all 7 Harry Potter volumes on it (yes, go ahead, laugh...) without issue and I do have my CISCO portable command guide on it as well, but... something's still lacking...

I think OLED is about to make a true convergence possible. With screens taking up less space and energy, the laptop from the picture above could do away with the keyboard altogether, and be a practical tablet. Maybe a foldable keyboard and USB expansion capability can do away with the need of a hard keyboard altogether. Personally, I don't need a keyboard all that much when I'm on the go and a virtual one, on a touch screen, would do just fine for me. When I'm at home or at the office, I use, my desktop anyway - for anything requiring serious work.

Just my thoughts...

[citation][nom]stevo777[/nom]Yeah, I've never tried the projected keyboard thing, but it looked interesting.Actually, I got a 32" Samsung @ Walmart a few weeks ago for $438. The LCD prices have really crashed lately.[/citation]

I've seen them even cheaper than that. I think my wife and I will buy a 32" soon for the bedroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.