[SOLVED] Samsung phone will not connect to Windows 10

Jamlev

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2012
This one should be pretty easy. I have a J6+ on Android 9 that is now invisible to Windows 10 (after previously working fine). Here is what I've tried on the desktop:

Change USB cable
Change USB port
Disable and re-enable developer mode in Android
Download Samsung MTP drivers
Download Samsung Smart Switch
Try all of the same on a Windows 10 laptop (where it also worked two months ago)

Before a popup used to occur asking if I wanted data transfer, now nothing, only charging.

The fact that the problem exists on two different computers using different cables and ports leads me to believe it is the phone/Android.

Anything else I can try?

Solution
Its just sounds to me like damaged microusb port (on the phones side).
Maybe the transfer lines of the connector are damaged... how old is the phone?

Jamlev

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2012
Thanks for the quick reply, tried that, and different cables, doesn't seem to be an issue.

Also set USB mode to file transfer but it makes no difference, all it does is charge.

Jamlev

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2012
Phone is about 18 months old, it's in an armoured case which protects the ports, there is no visible damage.

Just tried an old Asus phone with the same cable and it pops up with the USB transfer option and is seen in Windows explorer.

So it is either the microUSB port as you suggest - or a setting in Android preventing it.

Unless you did something very weird with the setting of the phone by accident (even thou i don't know how, even in debugging mode it will appear that is installing driver under win10), android always recognizes that is connected with windows (if the data transfer lines are okay), and its offering you option how you want to connect your device, especially android 8 and above are insanely intuitive.

Jamlev

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2012
OK, thanks for your quick help - you seem to have found the problem.

A workaround is using Google Drive to transfer files as I'm not ready for a new phone yet! ;)