Samsung Planning iWatch Rival Using AltiusOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
smart watch as a acessory to a smartphone makes sense imo, the sony smartwatch is cool, shows me my facebook updates, emails, texts and limited functions for other uses but overall a useful device. 500x500 pixels is exciting abotu this one but i hope it is color instead of just black and white and if it funcitons or has the option to function through my galaxy nexus to display the same stuff with a higher pizel densit ythen i would be interested if the price is decent. now are they a must have... no but liek where i work i can't have my phoen out so the smartwatch lets me glance at notifications and send notificaitons on misse dcalls or texts without pulling out a phone

fuzznarf

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
headline should read "Apple unveils iWatch idea stolen from Samsung to rival Samsung's smart watch" considering that Samsung unveiled theirs first.

[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]Monkey see Monkey do[/citation]
Sounds like you just called the mighty Apple a monkey, since they copied SONY and Pebble smartwatch, among others.
Anyhow, the idea is not new: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartwatch
The fact that this or that manufacturer tries to integrate it with their own devices is progress, IMO.

On the article: sounds like Kevin never heard of this idea before. Either that (which is unacceptable for a tech news reporter), or he's trying really hard to troll us with some Samsung vs. Apple (non-existent) spin - which is unacceptable for any reporter. Article fail.

G

Unless they start building the watches with built-in GPS sensor instead of just syncing with the phone via Bluetooth, MotoACTV still rules!

Amen2That

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Dear Samsung,

Don't get caught up in the iWatch affair. You are a top manufacturer with all the resources you need to be a leader. There is no need to follow the beaten iPath. You have bendable displays and electronics on the way within your own factories. Show us all the creative things you can do. I fully expect you to have wearable communication devices such as wristband phones/tablets, bluetooth earrings, augmented reality glasses, and smart jackets in the market before the end of the decade.

Sincerely,
Tech Fan

G

I own 1 watch, and have not worn it more than twice in 5 years!

I never feel the need to look at my wrist to tell the time, ever!

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]Amen2That[/nom]Dear Samsung,Don't get caught up in the iWatch affair. You are a top manufacturer with all the resources you need to be a leader. There is no need to follow the beaten iPath. You have bendable displays and electronics on the way within your own factories. Show us all the creative things you can do. I fully expect you to have wearable communication devices such as wristband phones/tablets, bluetooth earrings, augmented reality glasses, and smart jackets in the market before the end of the decade.Sincerely,Tech Fan[/citation]

yes, pls show us something that isn't a copy and isn't just bigger or a faster cpu (but still not any faster).
Thanks!

dauntekong

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
[citation][nom]Amen2That[/nom]Dear Samsung,Don't get caught up in the iWatch affair. You are a top manufacturer with all the resources you need to be a leader. There is no need to follow the beaten iPath. You have bendable displays and electronics on the way within your own factories. Show us all the creative things you can do. I fully expect you to have wearable communication devices such as wristband phones/tablets, bluetooth earrings, augmented reality glasses, and smart jackets in the market before the end of the decade.Sincerely,Tech Fan[/citation]

Dear Valuable User,

We are not caught up on Apple's affair. We just like to push Apple around with our old Smart-watch innovation.

We have most of what you requested in concept designs. Some are already out for public views in our region.

Remember, Apple is not an innovation but a recipe company.

For the People,

Samsung

LMAO

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]tmshdw[/nom]yes, pls show us something that isn't a copy and isn't just bigger or a faster cpu (but still not any faster).Thanks![/citation]
The same can be said about Apple.

Also the iPhone has a faster CPU because it's also newer. When the Galaxy S4 debuts it will most likely be faster than the iPhone 5. But Samsung will also most likely loose that crown when the iPhone 5S, or whatever it's going to be called, is launched. It's a cycle, it doesn't mean one is ahead of the other.

Amen2That

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I think you guys misunderstand what I was getting at. IMHO, Samsung already makes better and more usable phones than Apple (though this is irrelevant no matter which side of the fence you're on). I just don't want to see the whole industry just making "Smart Watches" which has already been seen and done while neglecting other avenues... despite what Apple says... even if they now have rounded corners. Samsung is the only other manufacturer with the financial, manufacturing, and supply chain logistics to rival those of Apple. They are capable of, and I am optimistic that, they drive the industry in a direction that is healthier for everyone involved with better & larger variety of products. Apple has stagnated and now is the great opportunity to see what others can do. Let's see products that will drive innovation not "improve" on existing technology and calling it yours.

The industry and consumers deserve better than what Apple will be selling in the iWatch.

blakbird24

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
I'm confused...this watch is supposedly being introduced March 14th. Correct me if i'm wrong, but we don't actually know that an "iWatch" even exists...right? So we have a confirmed smartwatch forthcoming from Samsung, and a rumor that Apple might be working on a watch of some sort.

How is Samsung copying Apple here?

Quite a reputation Apple has managed to create, such that whenever a revolutionary product is introduced, everyone assumes Apple must be behind it somehow.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Sounds like you just called the mighty Apple a monkey, since they copied SONY and Pebble smartwatch, among others. Anyhow, the idea is not new: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SmartwatchThe fact that this or that manufacturer tries to integrate it with their own devices is progress, IMO. On the article: sounds like Kevin never heard of this idea before. Either that (which is unacceptable for a tech news reporter), or he's trying really hard to troll us with some Samsung vs. Apple (non-existent) spin - which is unacceptable for any reporter. Article fail.[/citation]

True, just like smart phones existed before iPhone. BUT making an existing mobile device market better is always possible. This was seen with a dying or stagnant mobile music devices that became revitalized with iPod/iTunes and all of the devices that came after. How many consumers have smart watches?!? Not many at all, why?!? Because they suck. Make an intuitive smart watch and consumers will buy and not because its Apple but because it is useful.

I am a little surprised that Apple decided (if true) to come out with a smart watch before a smart TV. Then again there is high saturation in the consumer TV market.

Metroidam11

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
I know a lot of people don't like the idea of a smartwatch but I think its really a neat idea. I find my digital watch very useful and use the timer, alarm, and chronograph on a daily basis. Being able to work out with a smart watch while also getting text messages, and email updates would be awesome. I like the idea of my watch being able to do more. Considering some people pay well over $100 for some digital watches, $150 for a smart watch seems like a good idea to me. But its definitely a niche market.

FFH

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
It's not really a new thing. Everyone already mentioned the Sony Smartwatch. There's also the Motorola Motoactv, which is a touch screen fitness watch with an MP3 player and gps.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Classic Samsung innovation!
Wait for a competitor to come to market with a product and make something the same but on a different OS.

Wow, what innovation! I think all companies should have Samsung's business model, come out with nothing special and wait for competitors to push new products that create new products and just make the samething just cheap! That's really push the 21st century to new heights...

blakbird24

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Classic Samsung innovation!Wait for a competitor to come to market with a product and make something the same but on a different OS.Wow, what innovation! I think all companies should have Samsung's business model, come out with nothing special and wait for competitors to push new products that create new products and just make the samething just cheap! That's really push the 21st century to new heights...[/citation]

Sigh...see my previous post in this thread. Who is Samsung copying? There are some offerings in this realm already but nothing of this caliber. Other than that we have alot of speculation and nothing more.

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
i hope the battery on this thing is on par with current digital watches.... don't want to have to charge my watch along with my phone everynight...

Status
Not open for further replies.