Samsung Planning to Diversify Chip Business Due to Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Yeah, Samsung hates money so much that they're willing to dump their biggest client. Great analysis guy.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Apple's mobile processors were 80% of Samsung's business?
I have a hard time believing that...

Edit: Nvm, Zak Islam reworded it to make it look that way.. It's 80% of Apples business with Samsung that's been pulled out.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Smart move from Samsung. Never put all your eggs in one basket.[/citation]

LOL it was not their decision it was Apple's.
Nice spin, you should work for Samsung PR fanboy.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
[citation][nom]Soda-88[/nom]Apple's mobile processors were 80% of Samsung's business?I have a hard time believing that...Edit: Nvm, Zak Islam reworded it to make it look that way.. It's 80% of Apples business with Samsung that's been pulled out.[/citation]

Noticed that too, on top of that these are analyst estimates for 2013. Oh Zak... whatver produces the best click bait.

bubuhubu

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Taiwan-based Commercial Times had recently reported that Apple agreed to a trial production with Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company of the A6X processor found in its fourth-generation iPad

AMD and nVidia wish good luck to Apple

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
no way Samsung's business is 80% from Apple, especially since Samsung is selling more Galaxy's than iPhones, and that's only one part of Samsung's business. They are leaving out screen tech, TV's, printers, cameras, computers...etc.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
[citation][nom]fuzznarf[/nom]AMD should contract Samsung to produce their next CPU and GPUS with Samsung's 14nm process.[/citation]

better yet, I wonder if Samsung can just buy AMD for cheap and give Intel a real run for it's money.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]unksol[/nom]Funny how you left out the part where Samsung upped apples price by 20% and apple has no other supplier so they paid it. Its Samsung leaving apple. Not the other way around.[/citation]
Funny how you still believe that "rumor" when Samsung themselves released an official statement saying it wasn't true. Just like the rumor Samsung was cutting off LCD's to Apple and Samsung turned around and released another official statement saying it wasn't true.

I guess when you want to believe in something even the lamest of rumors appear as facts to you.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]Xperia hero of the reloveution[/nom]Yeah, Samsung hates money so much that they're willing to dump their biggest client. Great analysis guy.[/citation]
Not sure why a common sense comment gets voted down.

People can't seem to comprehend that Samsung Mobile (that makes phones & tablets) is a DIFFERENT DIVISION from Samsung Semi. You can bet that Samsung Semi is pissed off at losing so much money in sales because of the actions of a different division in the same company. They might be "brothers" but that doesn't mean they always get along or are happy about what the other one does.

ibnmuhammad

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Apple's mobile processors were 80% of Samsung's business?
I have a hard time believing that...

@EricBurny made an excellent point... the "80% of Samsung's business" makes sense if it's their semiconductor devision.

[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]LOL it was not their decision it was Apple's.Nice spin, you should work for Samsung PR fanboy.[/citation]
Do you even think before posting such nonsense? How is Samsung expanding with other Chinese clients Apple's decision?
Geez... fAnatics nowadays...

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Do you even think before posting such nonsense? How is Samsung expanding with other Chinese clients Apple's decision?Geez... fAnatics nowadays...[/citation]
Perhaps you should think before posting. Samsung isn't cutting off Apple - Apple is switching to other suppliers. It says so right in the article:

"He admitted that the move is a response to Apple reducing its reliance on Samsung for its chips."

Samsung will be scrambling to find other companies. Who else sells as many devices as Apple that could take up the slack when Apple completes their move from Samsung? It's well known that Apple and Samsung completely dominate smartphones and tablets. Samsung sells parts to Apple for iOS devices and they sell to themselves for their own devices. Basically, Samsung Semi provides the chips for 80% of the devices out there (via Samsung and Apple). You take Apple out of that and suddenly the other 20% are going to be able to make up the difference? This is assuming none of them already buy some products from Samsung.

There's no way you can spin it - this is bad news for Samsung. Imagine billions of dollars every quarter leaving your company and going directly into the pockets of your competitors who will now use that money to expand their facilities and improve their products with increased R&D spending.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]I wonder if Intel might make stuff for Apple?[/citation]

They do for MACs. As for mobile devices I think its best for Apple to R&D their own hardware. Samsung burnt it bridge with Apple which is a sign of foreign companies trying to stifle US based companies. Other US based companies will keep an eye on this and will be wary working with Samsung.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]Soda-88[/nom]Apple's mobile processors were 80% of Samsung's business?I have a hard time believing that...Edit: Nvm, Zak Islam reworded it to make it look that way.. It's 80% of Apples business with Samsung that's been pulled out.[/citation]

According to Goldman Sachs, Apple represents about 80% of Samsung's business, around 9.3 trillion won ($8.8 billion or £5.5 billion) of work. This business could fall to 2.5 trillion won ($2.4b, £1.5b) next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.