[SOLVED] Samsung PM871 - is it like 840 or850 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Hi,
I've found some PM871a and PM871b ssd drives on Ebay and they costs a lot more than 840 or 850 .

I didn't find any good information about the PM871 ssd drives specifications.
It seams to be like 840 drives... but EVO or PRO ?

thanks

Solution
SM/PM = 2-bit or 3-bit MLC. PM = 3-bit MLC = TLC.

8 = generation = 8xx

7 = model = 850 EVO (in this case)

1 = usage (e.g. 3 = datacenter)

a/b = revision or type of flash, the 850 EVO had multiple revisions including at least three types of flash (32L, 48L, 64L) so a = 32/48L, b = 64L

At lower capacities it might use different flash, for example the 256GB SM951 utilizies 2D/planar while the higher capacities use 3D. OEM drives tend to have different, optimized firmware, so performance will not be exactly the same.

USAFRet

Titan
Similar to an 840/850/860.
Evo or Pro is mostly irrelevant.

They cost more because there are no more being made. Supply and demand. The few people that want one have an ever decreasing supply to choose from.

They are nothing special.

Can't find any info? Direct from Samsung:

May 2, 2020
I find no help in your post.
The Pro lines product are A++ grade chips with more volume data warranty while Evo drives have standard quality chips.
The 850 is a different version of chips respect 840 and 860 respect 850.

I know the supply /demand rule... I d like only to know which memory chips version is the PM871 drive

USAFRet

Titan
I was speaking of performance, not specific chip grade.

The 840/850/860 are all very very similar in actual performance.
From the numbers at Samsung, slightly faster than the PM871b you are asking about.

And those were sold to OEMs, for inclusion in laptops, etc.

If you wanted to know the specific chip version, then ask that.

The Completed/Sold listings for those at ebay show pretty low prices, not "a lot more "
256GB for $45
A lot of 5 for $168 ($33 ea)

Those are prices people actually pay, vs what sellers are asking.

SM/PM = 2-bit or 3-bit MLC. PM = 3-bit MLC = TLC.

8 = generation = 8xx

7 = model = 850 EVO (in this case)

1 = usage (e.g. 3 = datacenter)

a/b = revision or type of flash, the 850 EVO had multiple revisions including at least three types of flash (32L, 48L, 64L) so a = 32/48L, b = 64L

At lower capacities it might use different flash, for example the 256GB SM951 utilizies 2D/planar while the higher capacities use 3D. OEM drives tend to have different, optimized firmware, so performance will not be exactly the same.

Last edited:
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.