Samsung Posts Record $7.4 Billion Profit Thanks to Galaxy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]TeKEffect[/nom]their margins are about the same on the S3.[/citation]
No they aren't. Not even close. The top of the line iPhone 5 is $849, costing $238 to build. That's $611 markup, which is actually more than the GS3 costs off-contract ($599 for the dev edition, unlocked and with max internal storage).

Even if Samsung could manufacture the GS3 for free, the iPhone 5 would have higher margins.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]TeKEffect[/nom]they don;t sell a fraction. They sell the most high end phones. You forget about all the phones at 7/11 made by samsung.[/citation]
Really? Last I checked the GS3 had sold far more units than the iPhone 5. Of course this has a lot to do with the GS3 coming out a couple months earlier, but it's still very relevant to the initial statement. Apple posted much higher profits while selling a fraction of the phones. Apple has sold a total of 26.9M phones this quarter across all models including the iPhone 5. Samsung has sold 20M GS3s alone, and some 40M other smartphones.

Also, POS feature phones sold at 7/11 aren't included in the statistics about smartphones, because they aren't smartphones.

And don't compare the cost of the iphone which no one buys to a "sale price" whats the cheapest iphone 5 go for.
You seem to be confused as to what we were talking about. The margins on something are what you get for selling it, minus what it costs to make. I know you're confused here, but try to stick with me. Just because you got the phone for $200 doesn't mean Apple got $200 for the phone. Apple charges the carriers the full price. The carriers then subsidize it to get you into a contract. That phone still cost $849, it just wasn't you who paid it.

btw I own a nano and thats it from apple. I'm using a evo lte right now and had the og evo before this.
Doesn't make you any less wrong.

drakennz

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
However, profit deriving from Samsung's chip business decreased by 28 percent to 1.15 trillion won due to weak demand for DRAM chips.

lol those are some serious sales figures, even after the 28% decrease :p

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
I have a Galaxy Nexus off newegg for roughly 400$ off newegg. This is the best deal I can get off contract in Canada. I have 2 phones, one with Bell and one with Telus and either carrier couldn't get me a decent deal for any decent phones without signing 5% of my life away.
Oh and I'm quitting both of those companies to go with either Wind or Moblicity, my total Phone costs w/o Data monthly will go from 95$/mo to 35$/mo for both phones.
With saving of roughly 700$/y I can afford to buy a new high end smart phone off newegg every 9 months or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.