Question Samsung QVO 870 drive genuine or fake?

Dec 1, 2022
Hi!

I've installed the latest version of Samsung Magician on a bootcamped mac with Win 7.

I'm a bit concerned however that the drive is fake or not working as it should, since I am not able to test its performance with Samsung Magician.

In samsung magician it displays like a non-samsung drive would display.

With no drive health info, no possibility of doing a performance benchmark etc.

Next to the serial number it should say "Genuine", but it doesn't. Also the serial on the box and the serial in samsung magician differs by one letter... an extra "F" at the end in samsung magician.

I have the latest firmware for the drive and the driver is up to date according to windows.

Not sure what to do here, should I send the unit back?

See pics below

View: https://imgur.com/a/TcusEOZ

MWink64

Prominent
Sep 8, 2022
If you are connecting the drive via USB, then that may be why Magician can't access the Identify Device and SMART info.

I think there's a good chance this is the reason. Some SATA-USB bridges won't pass things like SMART info. Even when they do, some programs won't recognize it. I don't think it's uncommon for these manufacturer utilities to have issues with drives connected via USB. I would not assume the drive is fake based solely on this factor.

Reactions: JonasHAnd

Palorim12

Distinguished
I think there's a good chance this is the reason. Some SATA-USB bridges won't pass things like SMART info. Even when they do, some programs won't recognize it. I don't think it's uncommon for these manufacturer utilities to have issues with drives connected via USB. I would not assume the drive is fake based solely on this factor.
Magician never works via USB, not counting the recently added support for their Portable SSDs.

TRENDING THREADS